your opinions and experiences

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I LOVE my 3 ferrets - they are really great.
There are far more positives than negatives when it comes to ferrets
Here are a few pro's and cons
PRO'S
They KNOW who their owner is - very loyal
Intelligent and inquisitive (inquisitive is a pro and a con)
They kiss on command!
Completely hilarious especially when you have more than one - oh yeah...that's a really important thing to mention...
They REALLY appreciate a buddy of the same species - some can get depressed if alone.
they actually sleep 18-20 hours a day - there for not nocturnal
they CAN be litter trained

the list could go on and on

CONS
The waste that comes outta these guys Stinks!
if they're not litter trained and i speak from experience...some can't or won't become litter trained, the cage will be a constant mess!
and as somebody said - they can get through the tiniest of holes...my little girl came to me as a stray who wandered into my yard - i assume she escaped
I bought and oober expensive - huge parrot cage so they could have tons of room to play and 2 of the 3 escape through the one and one quarter inch bars - that's tiny.
They are EXTREMELY mischievious!
I've had many things damaged by them
You can't stay mad at those sweet little fuzzies though

So there's my 2 cents!

Ahhh, ferrets. My first introduction to these little guys was when my stepdad decided to get two that were advertised in the paper. Needless to say, when we got them home and let them loose, I mistook their sideways hop and baring of teeth for rabies, grabbed my little baby brother and ran screaming from the room.

Well, I've learned a lot since then. Ferrets are very awesome little things, and can be heaven or hell, depending. It was hilarious when our female Hip-Hop would do the sideways bounce backwards on the bed (or whatever she was on) until she just bounced right off the edge, not so funny when she'd fall from a high place while doing the same thing. So cute when snuggling, not so cute when snuggling each other under a huge immovable dresser while refusing to come out. They can fit damn near anywhere, and can escape unless you really keep them in lockdown. My brother forgot to tighten on of the ------ we had to keep on each corner of doors in their wire cage and we lost Hip-Hop for a week in the house before she was discovered curled up in his dirty laundry pile.

There are plenty of things about ferrets to consider, such as the fact that they like to dig. Houseplants beware. The also like to chew. Leather (I don't think my mom ever quite forgave them for killing her sheepskin slippers) and rubber (shoes, barbies, superballs) come to mind. Flesh occasionally, depending on the ferret. Babies more so than adults, for the most part. Again with the tiny spaces, fridgerators, dressers, boots, socks, bags, shelves...if they can get most of their face in it they can get it all in it. And yes, it's not fun to be nursing yourself with the flu and a ferret too. Not everyone likes the smell of ferret, and it will cling to your clothes. They love to swim, but can drown easily. Bathing.... Imagine holding a snake with grease on it. That's what it's like trying to hang on to a soapy wet ferret who is more interested in eating the soap than wearing it. Some people might not be so found of them either, and be prepared to deal with some misconceptions, like, it's a rat, or it's going to kill things (though they can, most don't). Be prepared for that initial 'OMG the ferret is DEAD!' when you pick it up and it just flops around in your hands like rag. Yes, you can fold it in half, but let it sleep, really.

I loved Hip-Hop and Big-Bop, and miss them dearly. Would I get another ferret? Most likely yes. They are work, much like a cat, but worse lol. Are the worth it? HELL yes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back