Your opinion

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kirstrog

Reaction score
So I joined a group for Betta breeding on FB.. on there they feed the fry to the other fish.. majority of them are only breeding for this reason :( it saddens me to think people think this is ok? I've now removed myself from this group as I've seen too many posts of their fry ready to be given to the other fish for food! Now this is my opinion.. they are completely healthy fish, they shouldn't be given as food! It seems majority of the people on the group thinks it's absolutely fine to do so. Is it just me thinking its completely wrong or do allot of people do this?

Usually the only fry that get fed to others are deformed fish, I've never hear of people breeding bettas for live food, but people do use guppies and rosy red minnows for that
AHH that's so sad :( yes, on the other group I was in they stated on there only deformed fish are to be used as food and anyone that posted otherwise would be removed but on the other one they were brutal. I just think it's very cruel!

It is unfortunate and cruel to what some people are prepared to do. Frankly I'm on a couple of communities on FB but thats mainly for tanks and accessories I steer clear of any information given as most of the time it's incorrect. I also saw a man selling gold fish, it was horrible, there wasn't enough room in the tank for them all to be fully submerged. It was honestly disgusting. He was removed form the group and reported to the pet authorities, so I really hope he got what he deserved.

Again, people are cruel. I may be getting deep here but as a species we rank at the top on cruelty. It's horrible how so many people can have such little respect for life as a whole. It sickens me further that most of this cruelty is done for the sake of making a profit or saving money. Some people honestly disgust me.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here are my $0.02:

I personally have no moral objection to feeding live food to carnivorous creatures if it's what they are biologically meant to eat. It's nature and nature isn't always kind. Most people in the fish hobby use fish like guppies or rosy red minnows as feeders (which likely started due to being inexpensive to produce). In my eyes, feeding betta fry or any other non-endangered species is no different. The difference is only aesthetics and because they pretty and commonly kept as pets, people get in the mindset that the pretty fish are somehow superior and have more valuable lives. This can be summed up as cognitive dissonance.

However, whenever possible, I would agree that deformed specimens that likely wouldn't have the same quality of life would be the most ethical to feed off.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here are my $0.02:

I personally have no moral objection to feeding live food to carnivorous creatures if it's what they are biologically meant to eat. It's nature and nature isn't always kind. Most people in the fish hobby use fish like guppies or rosy red minnows as feeders (which likely started due to being inexpensive to produce). In my eyes, feeding betta fry or any other non-endangered species is no different. The difference is only aesthetics and because they pretty and commonly kept as pets, people get in the mindset that the pretty fish are somehow superior and have more valuable lives. This can be summed up as cognitive dissonance.

However, whenever possible, I would agree that deformed specimens that likely wouldn't have the same quality of life would be the most ethical to feed off.
No-one will flame you for your opinion, as afterall it makes sense. Like you said in the wild animal predation happens. It is a natural occurence.

It's the fact that they're being reared and used as food, being bred on purpose simply to be livestock, put in a tank with 0 chance of survival, no where to hide, no way of getting away from their predator. If it happens in the wild it's fair game, the fry can hide amongst leaves, and band together to limit their chances of being the unfortunate who'll be eaten. If they're the unlucky one then thats the circle of life.

I'm no fool though, I understand that this practice is used everywhere, even as fish keepers we use live products to feed our fish, in many respects I'm a hypocrit for even stating my opinion, as I too use live foods. but I'm a softy, and I like fish and hate seeing them harmed!

Edit - many many typos, and a little added for better flow of wording.

So I joined a group for Betta breeding on FB.. on there they feed the fry to the other fish.. majority of them are only breeding for this reason :( it saddens me to think people think this is ok? I've now removed myself from this group as I've seen too many posts of their fry ready to be given to the other fish for food! Now this is my opinion.. they are completely healthy fish, they shouldn't be given as food! It seems majority of the people on the group thinks it's absolutely fine to do so. Is it just me thinking its completely wrong or do allot of people do this?
If that is you on your avatar, I love your blue hair.

I've just bought a cerise dye for mine.

(Sorry - nothing to do with fish, I know, de-railing)

I don't think that intentional feeding of any fry is ok. I know it's Nature's Way and blah-de-blah-de-blah but personally I think it's brutal.

It is unfortunate and cruel to what some people are prepared to do. Frankly I'm on a couple of communities on FB but thats mainly for tanks and accessories I steer clear of any information given as most of the time it's incorrect. I also saw a man selling gold fish, it was horrible, there wasn't enough room in the tank for them all to be fully submerged. It was honestly disgusting. He was removed form the group and reported to the pet authorities, so I really hope he got what he deserved.

Again, people are cruel. I may be getting deep here but as a species we rank at the top on cruelty. It's horrible how so many people can have such little respect for life as a whole. It sickens me further that most of this cruelty is done for the sake of making a profit or saving money. Some people honestly disgust me.
Omg that's so cruel, glad he was reported. I couldn't agree more with what you've said tbh. I'm glad everyone on here is thinking how I think :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back