Your First Fish.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What sort of tropical fish would you recommend for a beginner around 10 fish maximum.

Many thanks

Another thing I would keep in mind when picking out fish is watch them for a little first, don't just pick something because it's colorful or looks 'neat'. Sometimes after you watch them for a while you may not like how they act, i.e. find them slightly boring. There are people who won't touch schooling fish because they can be very flighty and often just swim constantly in a group, while others enjoy that schooling behavior very much. It really depends on what you like.

I've actually found quite a few aquarium videos on YouTube, this may be a way to check out fish that perhaps your store does not carry but still interest you.

Also, ask yourself what you want out of the tank. Do you want a lot of small fish, a few larger ones, or a mix? Community tank or predatory one? Lots of activity or something a bit calmer? Do you really have your heart set on plants? If so, some fish will not be a good mix, as they'll love eating everything you plant.

Once you decide what you really like, research research RESEARCH!!! Find out what their water and temp requirements are, what they can and can not go with, whether or not they need to be kept in groups, pairs or as a single fish, what level of the tank they swim at, feeding requirements, and if they are suitable for your size tank. Once you figure this out you should be well on your way to choosing stock you will be happy and knowledgeable about owning.

One last thing, remember, no fish is a 'tank cleaner'. They may eat food that falls to the bottom, or clean that pesky algae off the glass, but they add to your stock, and they will need fed just the same as your other fish (esp. when the algae runs out ;) ) No fish will eat poo and keep your tank clean.

If you only want a fish for it's 'cleaning' ablilities, don't get it. Poo can be gravel vac'd, not overfeeding will solve extra food and less light or a an algae scrubber will take care of the green stuff.

Hi folks,

I have been researching what tropical fish to buy for quite some time, and boy it is tricky! I am finding so many contradicting views which aint helping me at all! Some help please?

1. I have just got a 75L (20 gal) tank, and want to keep warm water tropical fish. I am trying to decide what fish to get - i want some exciting fish (colour wise, size and shape) in a community tank. So far i have limited it down to the list below. I realise some fish more tricky to keep than others, but i am one of these people who look into the details of things in great detail before doing anything, so i think i could get off with slightly more tricky fish (like the elephant fish). I have been looking at what fish are compatible with others. One book has kept it simple, and i though of just getting fish which it states as "sociable and good for community tank" and which require the same water conditions. However, another website has been much more pedantic and states that the combinations are very tricky and basically everything i want can only be kept with one other fish! Can somebody please advise what i am able to keep together? A nice set up with a good variety of funky fish is what i want! i know i have to start with a couple fish, and gradually increase etc, but i would like to have an idea of what i will have in my tank!

2. Size and space - i have been told a few things again. Some have said i will only manage around 6-10 fish, others say 26 ish. This is obviously totally dependant on the size of the fish, but maybe you could give me some idea of quantities with a suggested set up from above?

3. The size question expands - fish come in different sizes.... but how big are the fish in my 'wish list'? I have read that some are up to 30cm!! Yet so many places say they are fine in a 75 L tank. I have been told that this is because the fish only grow to their given space...how true is this? Even tetras are stated as 5 inches in some places!

4. The tank - I have a tank with a filter built into the hood. The spec from the company - aquaone- states it puts even more oxygen into the water. Does this mean i dont need a pump putting in more oxygen? I realise more oxygen is good for the fish, but putting in a bubble machine in the tank takes up space, and of course cost. So do i need it?

Hope you can help, i am getting frustrated with the complexity due to conflicting views, so would love for someone to just clarify for me :)

Many thanks!

Rorie :good:

oops, i forgot the list!

Albino Pleco
angelicus pimelodus
Apistogramma Agassizi Red
Balloon Molly
Black Molly
black widow tetra
Bolivian Ram
bumblebee goby
butterflyfish
Clown Loach
coolie loach
Cyphotilapia Frontosa
Dalmation Molly
Electric Yellow Lab
firemouth cichlid
glass bloodfin
Gnathonemus Petersii (elephant)
marbled hatchetfish
Melanochromis Johanni
neon tetra
Paradise Fish
pink kissing gourami
red tailed black shark
silver molly
upside down catfish

I've been curious about looking after tropical fish for years and having recently changed my postal round to one that includes Tropi-Quaria (managed to forget the correct name of the shop, lol) in Southampton, the last week and a bit have involved lots of internet reading about turning this pie-in-the-sky dream into a reality!

If I was to commit to this current pipe dream, I am tempted to go for a tank that is 60" long, which I believe will equate to something ~180 litre. Given its size, it looks as though I would need to do a lengthy "fishless cycle," perhaps in the region of 5 or so weeks?

The shop owner recommended Neon Tetras as a good starter fish, mainly as they are inexpensive, if the worst happens. However, I've read that Neons are not such a hardy fish for an immature tank, unlike Zebra Danios.

At the moment, fish on the "want list," depending on compatability include:-
Dwarf Guorami
Boseman Rainbows
Red Scats (20p coin-sized babies look lovely in Tropi-quana, but there is conflicting info about whether they can live in freshwater, rather than brackish long-term)
Harlequin Rasporas

I half expect replies telling me that my wishlist in way too adventurous for a first community tank, not to mention they either use the same tank region and will not play nicely with each other!
biggrin.gif

I would love to get replies regarding other hardy fish for an immature tank, instead of the Zebra Danios, as I believe their fastish shoal swimming would not be good for species current on the wishlist.

I don't think I'll bother posting the questions I had, seeing how long the last poster has been waiting for his response.

:look:

Hi Rory, your list is pretty bad in all honesty. Some of the fish you have listed will be eaten by other fish, some of the fish grow incredibly large, whilst others are far too small on comparison, some should only be kept in a species only tank. It really concerned me ready your list.
Let me give you a better list...
1. One pleco as can grow upto 40cm
2. Mollies (1 male per 2 female)
3. Guppies (1 male per 2 female)
4. Platys (1 male per 2 female)
5. Neon tetras (scholl of at least 6)
6. Corydoras (panda, peppered etc about 4 at least)
7. Threadfin rainbowfish (school of at least 4)
8. Kribensis or "kribs" (1 male and 1 female only, plus a cave)
9. Bolivian ram or blue ramirezi (1 male 1 female only)
10. Algae sucking loaches (3 ish)
11. Dwarf gourami eg honey gourami (1 male 1 female at least)

A list like that is better, generally more peaceful and get along loads better. Your list really was a terrible combination and I hope you haven't already gone ahead with it :sad:
oops, i forgot the list!

Albino Pleco
angelicus pimelodus
Apistogramma Agassizi Red
Balloon Molly
Black Molly
black widow tetra
Bolivian Ram
bumblebee goby
butterflyfish
Clown Loach
coolie loach
Cyphotilapia Frontosa
Dalmation Molly
Electric Yellow Lab
firemouth cichlid
glass bloodfin
Gnathonemus Petersii (elephant)
marbled hatchetfish
Melanochromis Johanni
neon tetra
Paradise Fish
pink kissing gourami
red tailed black shark
silver molly
upside down catfish

Hi all,
I`got a 28l tank and at the moment have got 4 glowlight tetra ,introduced first ,after 1 week ,introduced 2 corries,and was advised in week intervals that i could introduce 3 guppies and 2 shrimps,but have decided to settle on 2 shrimp and 1 extra corrie and 2 extra glowlight tetra,that`s in total
6 glowlight tetra
3 corries
2 shrimp,what does everyone think i am looking to buy a 48l in the next 6 months
any advice appreciated

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back