Your Dream Oddball Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I would have a skool of polypterus and Tiger perch and if big enough a nice big snakehead.

A puffer would be also a option.

Live plants is a no no with a marbled headstander as they eat them. I have one and he ate all my plants and nips various fish. Lovely fish, but really cheeky and a pest to other fish.

Yeah I had heard that they would eat plants. They eat all of them? I'd hate to fill a nice tank with plastic plants, but I do love the fish; it's one of my absolute favorites. As far as fin nipping, will they nip even hardy fish like the ones I listed? I had heard as long as you give them an area of tank that they can 'stake out' then they do fine (assuming the other fish learn to stay out, quite like the climbing perch). I guess the most susceptible of the listed fish would be the African Butterfly Fish or the Butterfly Loach. It seems like the ABF would be fine because it's a top dweller and the Headstander is mid to bottom. I wonder if the butterfly loaches are scaleless or considered armoured. It would probably be the most likely target of the nipping. I think the Earth eater could fend for itself and the rainbows are too fast. Actually the loach would probably just hide. Who knows. Thanks for the advice.

-Darke

Hello, he only nips certian fish for some reason. He nipped my silver dollars so bad that I had to remove them from the tank. I did keep him with African Butterflies and at first he would swim near them, but as soon as he saw me looking he'd act like a dog and slowly retreat down to the bottom of the tank. He seemed to learn that he was not aloud to nip them and then they were fine together. He is currently keps with clown loaches, upsidedown fish and an african knife fish and doesn't nip any of them, but I have to be careful what I put in with him. As far as plants go, he will nip at most plants apart from floating ones. But I've heard if you supply them with lettace that they leave plants alone. Mine is certainly a character so I would recommend him, but you just have to be careful what he's kept with.

32 foot x 20 foot x 8 foot. no idea how many gallon that would be tho, anyone have a guess???

Ally my Alligator Gar (once full size), 8 foot ish.!!!!!!!!!!
and anything she would not be able to eat! lol!

hmm
I had a dream a while back
I purchased a 3 story house and converted the entire thing into a fish tank
(removing floors etc)
I stocked it with large catfish like red tails, pangasius etc for the bottom floor
arrowanas for the top floor and a school of half a million giant danios
(mostly for food and breeding more food)

now there is an idea :hyper:

Hello, he only nips certian fish for some reason. He nipped my silver dollars so bad that I had to remove them from the tank. I did keep him with African Butterflies and at first he would swim near them, but as soon as he saw me looking he'd act like a dog and slowly retreat down to the bottom of the tank. He seemed to learn that he was not aloud to nip them and then they were fine together. He is currently keps with clown loaches, upsidedown fish and an african knife fish and doesn't nip any of them, but I have to be careful what I put in with him. As far as plants go, he will nip at most plants apart from floating ones. But I've heard if you supply them with lettace that they leave plants alone. Mine is certainly a character so I would recommend him, but you just have to be careful what he's kept with.

It's cool that he learned it was unacceptable to bother the butterfly. If he nipped the silver dollars, it's a good chance he would probably nip the rainbows. I wonder if it would make a difference if he was the last fish acclimated into the tank and/or if he was a juvenile. I have read that they all start peaceful as juveniles, but get nippy as they grow to adult hood. At any rate, thanks for your advice. I did have a marbled headstander many years ago, but it's obvious I have forgotten most of what I remembered other than being really fond of them.

hmm
I had a dream a while back
I purchased a 3 story house and converted the entire thing into a fish tank
(removing floors etc)
I stocked it with large catfish like red tails, pangasius etc for the bottom floor
arrowanas for the top floor and a school of half a million giant danios
(mostly for food and breeding more food)

You need to get a job as a curator at a new aquarium and then design the whole place from the ground up! :drool:

-Darke

Ok, I apologise in Advance.

But i would have a Barracuda . Just love em.

But the wife said she can't spare the Garden :shout:

1 small school of Boesemani rainbows.
1 African Butterfly Fish ( Pantodon buchholzi.).
1 Leopard / African Climbing Perch (Ctenopoma acutirostre) - from an existing tank
1 freshwater Archer (Toxotes microlepis)
1 High Back / Marbled Headstander (Abramites hypselonotus)
1 Chinese Hillstream / Butterfly Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis)
1 Demonfish / Earth Eater cichlid (Satanoperca Leucosticta)
1 Upside down catfish (Synodontis nigriventris) - from an existing tank
Several red claw crabs
Several Mystery or other suitable snails
Hardy freshwater shrimp (not sure, these might end up as breakfast).
Appropriate live plants

-Darke

I wouldn't mix any of those fish together really. Just different water requirements, aggression issues, etc. A few would be okay together though.

I have three dream oddball tanks, one saltwater, two freshwater:

My freshwater dream tanks would be mainly dedicated to gars (floridas, spotteds and shortnoses)- and maybe a 210 planted for only needlenose fish.

My saltwater, however many gallon tank dedicated to a blue-spotted cornetfish, a trumpetfish, etc. I'd love to get a species of saltwater needlenose also...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back