You!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KayZ

Reaction score
I started off with one small 20lt tank and a few Guppies...
I now own half of the loungeroom with a 55lt, two 20lt and a fighter "vase" (I know, I know, I'll be moving him when I get the second bedroom back from our bro-in-law ;))

55lt is home to:

4 Panda Corys
9 Neon Tetras
1 Bolivian Ram
1 Honey Dwarf Gourami
2 Borneo Suckers

One 20lt is home to:

3 guppy fry

The other 20lt is home to:

4 Guppies

And of course one fighter in the 5-8lt vase (who WILL be moved, he was just sooo pretty)

And now I'm looking at buying a 200lt tank when I take over the second bedroom for my art studio/fish/snake room :D

How did you guys get started, and what was the fish that got you hooked?

I got sucked in with a 5 gal starter kit, two Platy's and a Molly. Not ideal, but for someone who never had fish it was great.
The fish that got me hooked were both Platy's and Cory's. I still have my original two Platy's, a male and a female :p I have 5 Panda cory's, who I adore
I've also recently bought a BNP, who I ALSO adore :) I think I'm in love with my bottom feeders :p

I now have a 30 gal (115 lt) and a 20 gal (75 lt) tank. The stock is in my sig and I am looking forward to expanding the stock in the 30 gal at least :)
(My betta is the king of the 20 gal and doesn't much care for friends :/)

Walking through Dobbies garden centre into the aquraium section give me a hankering to get a tank.

Over a year later, 2 tanks one reef and one freshwater.

Just bought a new protein skimmer for the reef and its a bit noisy as its running/bedding in and its in the TV room. The wife gives one of those looks last night between me and the tank. My response was "you should have stopped me buying my first tank last year". LOL.

I started of with a little 40 litre with neons and dwarf cichlids. Then I got into it and got a 60 litre and added a BN plec. Then I had a 110 litre, 125 litre. 150, 2x 180 litres, 260 litre... Now on a Juwel Rio 400 (450 litres) and got an 800 litre planned and will be ordered from ND Aquatics as soon as I buy the filters, sand and external heaters for it.... All this from starting the hobby 2 years back lol

Iv kept, red belly piranhas, plecs, corys, SA cichlids (like jags, oscars, red devils, red terror, dovii and so on), rainbow snakeheads, Lima shovelnose catfish, barbs (torpedo, Odessa, cherry and rosy), that's just to name a few...

Its one of those Hobbies that once you get into it and see your fish grow you just get hooked, setting up your tank how you want it and going through the cycling process gives you a sense of accomplishment, seeing your tank lets you know that you did something and it's something you can be proud of after all the time and effort you put in :)

These are the last pics iv taken of my 450 litre...

27b4f9ba.jpg

d965d3b2.jpg

Since these pics iv taken the heaters out and replaced them with an external heater, changed the filter from a fluval to 2 x tetratec ex1200's and taken out and rearranged some of the plants and wood..

I got hooked just with goldfish! Then I went tropical.... Then I went tropical but big.... I had eight tanks at one point. Then I had the kids and just kept two tanks (100 gal and 50 gal).... Then I got a nano shrimp tank.... Then I went marine which got bigger and bigger and now I've got a seven footer coming next Sunday!

I love fish, out of all the animals they are my favourite.

I got hooked just with goldfish! Then I went tropical.... Then I went tropical but big.... I had eight tanks at one point. Then I had the kids and just kept two tanks (100 gal and 50 gal).... Then I got a nano shrimp tank.... Then I went marine which got bigger and bigger and now I've got a seven footer coming next Sunday!

I love fish, out of all the animals they are my favourite.

7 footer sounds nice :) was hoping to get my 8ft this month but decided to put it on hold for few weeks til I get the filters and heaters for it. It's an 8ft x 2 x 2 so works out at just over 800 litres/180 UK gallons (210 US gallons)

Will be freshwater and will be home to my flowerhorn and ornate birchir. Unless I decide to keep them in the 5 footer (450 litre/125 gal) and do something else with the 8footer... Decisions...

I started with a 90 litre Aqua 620 with the usual guppies, tetra & a betta.
2 yeats later i have a 5ft tank housing mainly SA/C amercan cichlids as this is my new route im going, a 120litre whicj as of next week will house my GBR's as a dedicated tank, still using my aqua 620 as my other half is keeping guppies in it till i set hers up and a cube 60 litre with guppy fry at mo but will be my hospital tank when ive had my re-shuffle!!
PIcs of my 5ft by day and nite (sorry for the poor quality nite pic!!).
It is a very addictive hobby this!!!
9060FE91-1153-4D34-80CF-D9D0F0731AF1-1258-00000229F9F80440.jpg

F4E90A50-1FE5-4F64-8E74-7AC85F7CEACC-1258-0000022A6590CF10.jpg

Looks like I may be in for an upgrade! :D OH has decided to let me buy a bigger tank, but I have to swap some fish around and end up with most of them being in the big tank, so the guppies will probably go, I'm not sure, I really like my guppies :/

Will post a journal I think, when I work out what I'm doing with it all :)

Beautiful tanks guys :good:

Looks like I may be in for an upgrade! :D OH has decided to let me buy a bigger tank, but I have to swap some fish around and end up with most of them being in the big tank, so the guppies will probably go, I'm not sure, I really like my guppies :/

Will post a journal I think, when I work out what I'm doing with it all :)

Beautiful tanks guys :good:
Exciting stuff :) what size tank you going to go for if you upgrade? And what have you got at the moment?

It's all up the top, I have some photos that I MUST upload soon, I'll do it tonight I promise.

I have a 55lt and two 20lt, if I upgrade, I'm gonna try and get the biggest one supplied up here :D
I think it's something like only 120lt which sucks cause its not really that much bigger than the one I have now, I really want a 200lt+.
We also might be moving house too, and I don't know whether to wait so I'm not lugging a massive tank and a bazillion fish from one end of town to the other :/

If I get a bigger tank, I'll be getting a few more Neons and Panda corys to up their shoals, maybe add a bunch of cherry shrimp, and I want a nice center-piece, my existing Bolivian psychologically bullied my previous one to death so that's out, I'm not risking another death because I can't guarantee the sex of the fish I'm sent.

What would you reccommend for a nice stand out pair or trio in a 120lt or bigger?

KayZ please refrain from swearing on the forum, we do have some young members.

Thanks

Steve

Sorry Steve, I'll try and restrain my potty mouth :angel:

• Started off with a 20g with three goldfish :crazy: then joined this forum
  • Bought 2 x 35g, moved the goldfish into one and setup a planted tropical in the other
  • Converted the 20g to a GSP tank
  • Built a 160g reef setup
  • Bought a 7g nano
  • Converted one of the 35g to a reef

All in the space of 2 years :rolleyes:

Then had to sell off everything when we moved house and have only just started up another tank a week ago.....hopefully I can keep it under control this time :blush:

It's all up the top, I have some photos that I MUST upload soon, I'll do it tonight I promise.

I have a 55lt and two 20lt, if I upgrade, I'm gonna try and get the biggest one supplied up here :D
I think it's something like only 120lt which sucks cause its not really that much bigger than the one I have now, I really want a 200lt+.
We also might be moving house too, and I don't know whether to wait so I'm not lugging a massive tank and a bazillion fish from one end of town to the other :/

If I get a bigger tank, I'll be getting a few more Neons and Panda corys to up their shoals, maybe add a bunch of cherry shrimp, and I want a nice center-piece, my existing Bolivian psychologically bullied my previous one to death so that's out, I'm not risking another death because I can't guarantee the sex of the fish I'm sent.

What would you reccommend for a nice stand out pair or trio in a 120lt or bigger?
I noticed the original post saying you wanted a 200 litre as soon as I looked at the thread again lol a 200 is a nice size but my advice to you would be to go for the absolute biggest you can get. I say this because I can almost guarentee you that the 200 you want will look huge to you for a while but give it a few months or even weeks and you will be looking for something bigger. That's if you have the room for it of course.

My 450 litre has 2 fish and I cant add to it as they are too aggressive. My 800L will either have 1 single fish (a dovii) or, the 2 fish from the 450 moved over to it and then il do a community in the 450 or get rainbow snakeheads again :) truly stunning fish

What about dwarf cichlids (apistogrammas) or dwarf gourami for the 120? Either way you would need 1 male and 2 female to avoid aggression.

Most reactions

Back