you know treatment isn't going well when you find a shrimp snacking on the patient

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes, turning the heat back down to normal temperatures will help as well as trimming off the leaves that have melted and turned yellow, this way the plant will keep the healthy leaves and grow stronger rather than wasting energy on trying to save dying / dead leaves.

Edit - I see Bruce Leland-Jones just got there first while was typing this! :lol:

I would personally leave the leaves that are yellow, and only snip away the ones that almost completely see-through. The plant can still pull the nutrients that remain in the yellow leaves, thus using those nutrients to put into new, healthy growth.

But yes, it's not game over for that plant by any means. Plants are tough things really, and when we do things like hard pruning in autumn, that actively encourages flourishing new growth in spring. Anubius is slow growing, so it'll take some time, but look for new growth, and don't be too quick to give up on a plant that looks gone.

If a plant is doing that to its older leaves its because the baby leaves are starved of nutrients. From the point of view of the fish that is likely a good unless you still have a nitrogen excess, and you may need to be adding supplements to encourage the plants to use the nitrogen instead of algae.

So I would just leave it until the leaf naturally falls off

'Melt' is a layman's term applied by many to describe any sort of plant deterioration.
Don't worry.
The plant will try to put its energies into saving the damaged leaves. These leaves can also contribute to your ammonia load in the tank.
So cut these away with sharp scissors and the plant will then direct its energy into growing new leaves.
Start by removing those incomplete leaves and see how it goes.
Great info! Thank you will do right now!

Yes, turning the heat back down to normal temperatures will help as well as trimming off the leaves that have melted and turned yellow, this way the plant will keep the healthy leaves and grow stronger rather than wasting energy on trying to save dying / dead leaves.

Edit - I see Bruce Leland-Jones just got there first while was typing this! :lol:
any and all advice is appreciated!

I would personally leave the leaves that are yellow, and only snip away the ones that almost completely see-through. The plant can still pull the nutrients that remain in the yellow leaves, thus using those nutrients to put into new, healthy growth.

But yes, it's not game over for that plant by any means. Plants are tough things really, and when we do things like hard pruning in autumn, that actively encourages flourishing new growth in spring. Anubius is slow growing, so it'll take some time, but look for new growth, and don't be too quick to give up on a plant that looks gone.
Ok, fantastic advice! Thank you!

If a plant is doing that to its older leaves its because the baby leaves are starved of nutrients. From the point of view of the fish that is likely a good unless you still have a nitrogen excess, and you may need to be adding supplements to encourage the plants to use the nitrogen instead of algae.

So I would just leave it until the leaf naturally falls off
thank you!

the temp is back to normal and I did a big water change and trimmed off the see thru leaves. I did leave some that look ok but are yellow to see if they come back.
Thanks for all of the great advice!
I really appreciate.
C50E162B-2C76-4013-A0DD-717B8E0E79B4.jpeg

the temp is back to normal and I did a big water change and trimmed off the see thru leaves. I did leave some that look ok but are yellow to see if they come back.
Thanks for all of the great advice!
I really appreciate.
View attachment 143372

That's a lovely looking tank!

To be clear, the yellow leaves aren't going to improve and turn dark green again. But they're still alive enough that the plant can draw the nutrients out of them before they go see-through/fall off like the others. Then the plant can put those nutrients into growing new, replacement leaves.

The rest of the plants clearly handled the heat treatment well!

That's a lovely looking tank!

To be clear, the yellow leaves aren't going to improve and turn dark green again. But they're still alive enough that the plant can draw the nutrients out of them before they go see-through/fall off like the others. Then the plant can put those nutrients into growing new, replacement leaves.

The rest of the plants clearly handled the heat treatment well!
Ohhhh so I should totally remove them!
And thank you, it is quite a cute little tank!
I did lose ine other entire Anubis’s plant …the two that didn’t do well were both very new (within a couple of weeks).

Ohhhh so I should totally remove them!
And thank you, it is quite a cute little tank!
I did lose ine other entire Anubis’s plant …the two that didn’t do well were both very new (within a couple of weeks).

It's up to you, but again... I would leave them on for the plant to pull the nutrients out of them first.

It's up to you, but again... I would leave them on for the plant to pull the nutrients out of them first.
Ohhhh my goodness yes I just reread your first one and. Ow understand what you meant!!!
Will do!!!!
Thank you for coming back and slapping me!!!

The Jury is out on this.
My researches (and previous knowledge), suggest that the plant will continue to effectively waste resources, trying to repair leaves.
If those leaves are removed, then ALL of the plants resources will go into new growth.

The Jury is out on this.
My researches (and previous knowledge), suggest that the plant will continue to effectively waste resources, trying to repair leaves.
If those leaves are removed, then ALL of the plants resources will go into new growth.
I left them on and one of those leaves was floating at the top this am. I suppose what I really need to do it find the rhizome (which is jammed down into the wood) and make sure that's still ok and not dying. I will definitely get a few more anubias though since the newest two crapped out on me (or I on them).

Most reactions

Back