Yet Another Will-Shrimp-Go-With-My-Fish Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adrianborg

Reaction score
Sorry to be boring, but if I put some cherry shrimps in with a wife-beating dwarf gourami, is it likely to end in tears? The gourami doesn't seem to show aggression towards shrimp-sized fish. (btw I realise I need to get a 2nd female dg ... Just waiting for a suitable specimen to appear in my lfs...).
Thanks!

Shrimp are on most gouramis natural food list so I wouldn't really trust a dwarf one to not eat cherry shrimp. My sparkling gouramis have had good attempts at eating cherry shrimp and they are smaller than dwarf's. You might be lucky if you have lots of thick weed in the tank, with lots of shrimp and only relaease the shrimp into the tank at night when hopefully the gourami is sleeping and the shrimp have a chance to go hide before the next morning. I have noticed my shrimp are especailly active at night so they will happily explore their new sorrounds in the dark.

Shrimp are on most gouramis natural food list so I wouldn't really trust a dwarf one to not eat cherry shrimp. My sparkling gouramis have had good attempts at eating cherry shrimp and they are smaller than dwarf's. You might be lucky if you have lots of thick weed in the tank, with lots of shrimp and only relaease the shrimp into the tank at night when hopefully the gourami is sleeping and the shrimp have a chance to go hide before the next morning. I have noticed my shrimp are especailly active at night so they will happily explore their new sorrounds in the dark.
Thanks for the advice! The tank is quite thickly planted. The dwarf male is quite big (about 6cm), I'll try with 1 or 2 to see if they survive before I add any more. If they don't, then at least the gourami gets a bit of variety in his diet!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back