Yet another pH problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Peculiar Clown

Reaction score
Hi guys, I could do with a little help on this one if possible.

I have a small (3 UK gallons) tank with just a WCM minnow a Glowlight Tetra and a Harlequin in it, and until recently all has been well. However I have noticed in the last 2 weeks that the pH drops quite a lot over the course of a week. Usually pH is 7.4 (using normal tap water), but last week it dropped down to 6.2. I had to 2 x 90% changes in 2 days to restore it back to 7.4

I don't have any problems with Ammonia (usually 0) or Nitrite (usually 0 or negligable), so I'm at a loss as to what is causing the problem. I only have 1 small plant in there, which I trim before it gets out of control.

I would appreciate any advice I can get, thanks.

Do you do a gravel clean as part of your maintance shedule? How often do you do water changes? Have you used any medications lately?

Check water hardness, esp. KH---it affects the stability of the pH---too low n pH crashes. ;)

I usually do about 20% weekly water change including a gravel clean, but I've never checked water hardness. We do have quite soft water in our area so that may be it. I guess I'd better test it, thanks. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back