Yes Kribensis again

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

customfox

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and a new returner to the hobby. I decided to start a 29 gal tank with a few Cardinal tetras (11) a Cory, a clown loach and 6 Kribs that I ordered on-line. The Kribs arrived 2 weeks ago with 1 DOA. My thought was to have one breeding pair of Kribs for fun to watch. Well, it appears as though I have two pairs (one at each end of the tank) and a smaller odd man out, The pairs are very busy making a home. What should I do?

While I'm asking questions has anyone ever seen a male Krib be the mate to two females at the same time? I'm getting very suspicious of the dominate male's intentions!

Doug

p.s. Well my suspicions are confirmed the male is now the father of two batches of eggs. Is this unusual? The female was kind've sloppy there are eggs showing on the outside of a rock!

Last edited:
Well, I was away over the week-end and the first batch of eggs hatched. The fry are now free swimming and following the parents around the tank. I've noticed that the fry appear to be feeding on something on the substrate, can I assume that they are feeding on micro organisms?

Most male cichlids will take on multiple females and have a harem. Kribensis don't normally but they can if there are spare females.

The babies will be picking at infusoria (micro-organisms) on the substrate and plants. They should be fed newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms.

Well, since I only had the original community tank I thought I would let nature take its course. The surviving fry (approx. 25)are now about 1/2" or greater in length. I just finished setting up a 20gal for them to grow by themselves. What do I discover today! another batch of babies. Its like have a tank full of rabbits!

Kribensis and convict cichlids will breed continuously while conditions are good. In an aquarium with a regular food source, nice warm water that is clean, and no predators, they will breed all year round. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back