Yellow/white Bulbs, White Fuzz...**pic Heavy**

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
IMG_1145_zpsbnhgqxgv.jpg

This is Ebony. She is a black molly, and was one of the first members of the 45gallon molly tank. She had some trouble over the past few days, reclining more and protruding her egg-tube. Today, though, I found her lethargic, with this UFO coming out of her anus. :X
IMG_1146_zpsxx1ho2pl.jpg

IMG_1147_zpsd8pnhm3c.jpg

If you look at the first pic, you can also see little white "pimples" on her tail.
4da579cf-18aa-4510-97de-2153f60b88fb_zps2zvu5x2z.jpg

She has little fuzzy spots on her, and a bit of a shimmy.
 Her "bulbs" later on grew white.
IMG_1155_zps2zb5iz4w.jpg

You can also see the fuzzy mouth fungus..looking stuff in that pic.

Her symptoms sound like columnaris, or a bacterial infection. The rest of the tank is perfect, no flicking, lethargy, or shimmy. Females are dropping fry, and the fry are growing fast.

She is now isolated in a 3/4 Gallon tank, 79 degrees F, with a pinch of salt and an airstone. She has no appetite.

Are the bulbs undeveloped eggs she had to drop? Could the hard labor have weakened her enough to let the infections set in?

The UFO is mostly gone, but now little red worms are coming out.

I'm not letting anything that was in that water touch the other tanks...but how do I sterilize the items?

I have just battled with camallanus worms, it is not pleasant. I see you are in the US so you should have access to suitable meds. Depending where you read, something containing fenbendazole or levamisole should do the trick. Follow the instructions, if any, about redosing to kill worms that hatched after the first dose.
I'm not sure about sterilising equipment. I used separate siphon tubes and buckets - and still do as I dead getting this or any trace of med in my other tanks, one of which has cherry shrimps which would not survive the treatment.

For anyone in the UK with these worms, after treating with Kusuri wormer plus (flubendazole) then Sera nematol (emamectin) I seem to have finally got rid of them.
However, after visiting a shop to restock my tank, I was told that eHSa-ndx contains levamisole, one of the recommended meds. The chap in the shop seemed to think is new on the market. If I'd known about it earlier I'd have used this.

Edited for spelling!

essjay said:
I have just battled with camallanus worms, it is not pleasant. I see you are in the US so you should have access to suitable meds. Depending where you read, something containing fenbendazole or levamisole should do the trick. Follow the instructions, if any, about redosing to kill worms that hatched after the first dose.

Okay, I'll have a look around..

I'm not sure about sterilising equipment. I used separate siphon tubes and buckets - and still do as I dead getting this or any trace of med in my other tanks, one of which has cherry shrimps which would not survive the treatment.

I only have one siphon, sadly. Would shrimp or snails not survive at all? Should I treat the whole tank?

You need to treat the whole tank. The worms can pass directly from fish to fish but the usual way is for the worms to lay eggs which hatch into microscopic worms which are then eaten by tiny crustaceans in the tank. The fish then eat these crustaceans and become infected. The adult female worms need to protrude from the fish to lay eggs, which is when we can see them. The fish will have been infected for a few weeks before the female worms become mature enough to lay eggs. I did a lot of reading when I first noticed the worms in my fish. The consensus seems to be it takes around 4 weeks after infection before seeing the worms, and that besides buying an infected fish, live food can be the source, or even buying a plant from a tank with infected fish.

I removed my snails when I treated (I put them in the QT for a while before adding them to the tank with shrimps in so as not to infect the fish in there). I tried putting one nerite snail back last week and unfortunately it died - a month after the last treatment.
I couldn't catch my last remaining amano shrimp, which I'd had for five and a half years. It survived the wormer plus (flubendazole) but not the nematol.

I would buy a second siphon tube and keep the old one just for this tank.

Ordered some fenbendazole medicated food. Ebony died this morning, so I'm in the process of sterilizing everything.

I only have one siphon, sadly.
These are like 2 or 3 bucks at most Petrol ( Gas for our America friends ) Stations.

zwf5zn.jpg

Bless Her. R.I.P.
Once they get infested with camallanous worms they do a lot of damage to the internal organs. 
Then it hard to save the fish.

Don't forget you still need to treat the tank she was in as the worms inside her would have laid eggs in that tank and even if the other fish in there aren't infected now, they soon will be.

If it is the only tank you have, you don't need a separate siphon tube but if you have more than one tank you do need one asap in case you contaminate the others.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back