Yellow Tang Twitching?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
My tang who may still have ich even after 5 weeks of quarantining, twitches pretty frequently. Ive only had him since he had ich, and has been twitching since I bought him, but im just making totally sure that this isnt normal.

My mom seems to think its ok, but shes the one who wants all the fish back in the main tank right now! She seems to think that its part of his personality[yeah sure]

I know that the disease can embed itself in the inside of the gills where it is not visible so I have put the tang through copper treatment for the reccommended amount of time, and he still does this so I will continue the treatment if this might be a sign of the disease still lingering. I havent seen him rub against any rocks recently, but I guess I should go observe him for a while and see if he is still itching. I really dont want to put him back in the main tank to test it when he is still infected and start this all over again!

Try putting a item called Stability or metiplex in the tank with the tang i find that helped my fish before. I always use that to help repair my fish.

My Koran and Heraldi angels twitch frequently, it is part of their defence instincts, and it varies among individuals as well as species. Your mother may be right, it may just be his personality :/

Do you feed spirulina? It is an excellent immune system booster, and can even remove the necessity of treatment with chemicals or freshwater.

-Lynden

Well thats a relief to hear. Getting spirulina has always been on my to do list but I just keep forgetting. I have read that somewhere else as well that it can eliminate the need for chemical or copper treatments.

i've never seen healthy tangs twitching. Have you considered getting some blue neon gobys, a cleaner shrimp or a cleaner wrasse to eat any possible parasites? I wouldnt put him back in the tank until you are 100% certain it is ok. And unless your mum actually knows what shes talking about i wouldnt listen to her.

Ben

Yeah it still doesnt seem normal to me, but I guess I should consider everything. I have cleaner shrimp but cant put them in the QT with the tang because there is still some copper in there with him. I guess some hardy little cleaner fish would tell me if there is still ich in that tank though because unlike the clownfish in there with the tang who may have some kind of immunity, [rare but possible] the new fish would probably get it if it were still very present. Im so afraid of it hiding in his gills though! I dont know I think I will just wait a total of 2 months and see how hes doing then decide what to do.

My tangs will brush their gills every now and then. I would not say they make a frequent habit of it but i do see them occasionally do this during the day. AS long as they are not doing this every hour or so then i would say its ok.. I really do agree that you should not introduce them unless you are absolutely sure they are free from the parasite.

Well thats what I was looking for, experience. After all the stress it has caused me and them, theres no way I would even think about going there again if im not completely sure. He does do it pretty frequently though. But I guess if after 3 months hes still doing it, i might feel like buying another fish and putting it in with him and seeing if they get ich.

Most reactions

trending

Back