Yellow tang question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vbeaver31

Reaction score
I have a large yellow tang in my saltwater tank, and now he has began eating my inverts. I done alot of research, but i never found out that yellow tangs ate starfish. Now i have a yellow tang who is destroying my stars, and no one to give him too!!!!

Any suggestions on what to do???

I order all my livestock off line, and i have where to take him too.

I even considered GIVING him to a pet store, but the closest one is hours away. :/

Thanks

star fish are alot more expensive id say and i would give the yellow tang away this second.. although i have 6 and not one of them has eaten anything like that, only algae and spinach (or are my fish just fussy) anyway i would take him back

Nutter

What type of food are you feeding the tang? Inverts are not natural diets for these fish (ahtough it does happen). Im curious to know if its getting enough algea? Tang needs a large amount of algea in a tank to help keep them healthy. If you dont have much algea then you can purchase dried seaweed from health food stores and they will happily accept this. They are near constant grazers (Yellow, Emperor, Sailfins etc) so they spend alot of their time looking at live rock for something to graze upon.. I would guess that if there was a food sorce there that ismore natrual to its diet then it will choose it over the starfish.

Also.. Why size tank do you have the tang in? Tangs really should not be kept in anything under 75 gallons (uk) or they are liable to suffer with stress. If the tank is small then it might be possible that the tang is stressed and behaving in an unatural way. (I have seen tangs go completely insane and just swim in somersaults all day long. They only change this behaviour when food is dropped in to them only to return to their eratic swimming behaviour. This is down to small tank size and cramped swimming conditions.

I would advise the same as the rest though, its probably better to find an outlet to move him onto.

Most reactions

trending

Back