Yellow parrot cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lynz781

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Can someone tell me about the yellow parrot cichlid. Can't really find much on it and not really looking properly. So any info would be apreciated. I can't get one but I'm interested in them. I don't even know if I'm in the right bit for asking this question. :S

Colored parrot cichlids, that is the 'blood parrot' variety, are cruelly dyed to obtain their color. It stumps their growth, decreases their life span, and the color wears off over time. I highly recommend avoiding them. The original blood parrot is a hybrid, but at least it's not altered in such a fashion.

These fish don't really have a biotope, as they are purely a human invention, but you'd get the best response for them in the new world section, since it's from these fish that they were derived.

So is the yellow one i see quite often in shops dyed? Can i move this or will a moderator do it for me? I would like to know things like temperament and tank size etc. Thanks.

Lynz781 said:
So is the yellow one i see quite often in shops dyed? Can i move this or will a moderator do it for me? I would like to know things like temperament and tank size etc. Thanks.
Chances are the yellow ones are not dyed.

When I got mine, he was black/charcoal and yellow. Now he's pure yellow. I know for a fact he's not dyed.

Here's mine:

cattle014.jpg

Didn't think they were died. Are they better in a species tank? Aggressive at all?

Lynz781 said:
Didn't think they were died. Are they better in a species tank? Aggressive at all?
I keep mine with other New World cichlids (convict, firemouth, salvini, rainbow cichlid) and some smaller loaches.

Mine can be aggressive at times, but he's still a juvi. I've heard some will get more aggressive as they age. He's the first one I've owned, so i can't tell you for sure.

I would suggest a 55g (US) minimum tank for an adult, and you want to stay away from small fish (tetras, zebra danios).

They have a ton of personallity, like an aquatic dog. :lol:

i have three and they are only aggressive (at times) to each other. i introduced a couple of small siamensis to the tank and the parrots didn't even seem to notice them. but when i tore down another tank and added the 2 mollies that were in there, the parrots tried to attack them. i don't know if it's the colors or the way the mollies look, but other than that, they don't bother anyone but themselves

I have 3 parrots and there the most violent distructive fish i know (although i do love them :wub: )

So far they have killed 2 angels bigger than themselves
7 different loaches (in hte space of about 2 hours while i was at work)
2 plants
and my brown spotted catfish even cowers in the corner, great fish lovely personalities... if u dont want anything in the tank

They are agressive and wreck tanks pretty good, they push gravel everywhere and rip apart trees, to show how agressive and strong they are here is mine bashing my 11" oscar :p

100404.jpg

I just got a yellow one, undyed, to replace my poor little Polly! :-(

But he is VERY yellow and also brown. So the natural colors can range pretty far from pink and orange! :nod:

silver said:
I just got a yellow one, undyed, to replace my poor little Polly! :-(

But he is VERY yellow and also brown. So the natural colors can range pretty far from pink and orange! :nod:
Congrats on the new yellow parrot!! :cool:

Chances are the brown will disappear, and he will be solid bright yellow like mine. :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back