Yellow Panchax Killifish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

phonebox

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering about the Yellow Panchax Killifish, do they prefer to be in groups and if so how many? Or are they solitary fish? Thanks :)

regards,
James

Hi phonebox, the killi species you are talking about are a color morph of the fp. Gardneri I think. If this is so which I'm pretty sure it is and if they're like most killies I think they'd prefer living in a trio of 1 male 2 females. Just out of curiosity, Where do you plan to house the killies and are you planning to breed them?
Hope this helped.

Hi,
Golden wonders are a colour morph of Aplochelius lineatus. Whilst young they look stunning in a community aquaria. Problem with this species of Killifish is they grow to around 90mm in the domestic tank and are predatory by nature, therefore do not combine them with smaller species such as neon/cardinal tetra.
I would tend to keep them in a species tank or combine them with larger species of community fish.
If you intend breeding them then ask for more info.
Regards
BigC

No...Playfairs Panchax is a totally different species entirely. Pachypanchax Playfairi same family Aplocheilidae but a different genera.
Regards
BigC

Thanks everyone :)

I'm not intendng to breed (yet) and am thinkng of housing them in a 30 uk gallon tank, tankmates may include gourami and maybe some of the larger tetra. I don't have the tank as yet and so I am still exploring all of my options.
Other fish I could be considering of having in the tank include: blood parrots, butterfly fish, many other kinds of killifish.

many other kinds of killifish
Please do a little research first if you intend doing this as certain species will not be suitable to combine with others in the same aquarium.
Regards
BigC

Oh yea, sorry for the false info. The ones I were thinking about were Golden Wonder killies. They are a color morph of Fundulopanchax Gardneri. My mistake.

The ones I were thinking about were Golden Wonder killies. They are a color morph of Fundulopanchax Gardneri.

Oh no they're not, they are a colour morph of Aplochelius lineatus. like I stated previously. Don't take this personally Loko, but you need to be exact when you're giving out information.
Regards
BigC

Oh darn, Wow I'm stupid. Ok no more misinformation from me. There is a golden color morph of Fp. Gardneri Right? Just so I know I'm not completely insane.

There is a golden color morph of Fp. Gardneri Right? Just so I know I'm not completely insane.

That is correct.....Now you're learning.
Regards
BigC

Ok sweet. Good Luck with whatever you're planning for the Golden Wonders phonebox.

Well Golden Wonder is just a made-up name to avoid unweildy latin names in pet shops. I wouldn't be surprised if other golden coloured killies have been given the name on occasions, but as stated, the most usual one is Aplocheilus lineatus

check this page with Aplocheilus lineatus breeding info from the BKA

These killies jump more than others, so keep the tank well lidded, and provide a few floating plants if possible

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back