YEA! Tiger Lotus woke up!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just broke another lotus stem going to the surface but just a little bit short of actually reaching the surface. This is a followup experiment related to my previously breaking such a stem by accident. That initial break has ended up with a fully open leaf about half way up the tank. Seems totally healthy but no longer reaching for the surface as it has remained at the same depth. If my second break in the stem works the same it would indicate the possibility that I could break stems at different levels and actually make a column of these stunted leaf stems.

Too early to know but we shall see. If this actually works I can see many possibilities; mayhaps even braiding the lengths to make a sort of spiral...

Another thing that I noticed is that the initial stem break seems to have totally healed but the area of the break has gone from the stem being dark green to a reddish color for about 1/4 inch in that area.

The second stem break has a leaf but it is still 'rolled up' and not open. If this stem also heals and the leaf opens like the first I will snip some stems that are already on the surface which will promote more of these stems. If it seems to keep working I will break stems at different depth levels.

This is my first totally live plant tank and if this lotus thing works I can see so many possibilities. Say that I allow a surface stem to get long enough to go through my fake tree trunk and then break the stem. I could literally have red anywhere I want in the tank to offset the prominent green plants.

No ides as of yet as to if this will actually work out but I'm excited about the possibilities. ;)

I had one of my lillys sprout also. I thought it was a goner. Not a Tiger Lotus,THAT did die on me for no known reason after doing fine for months.
But the N.zenkeri I think it is, has nice orange brown leaves.

I had one of my lillys sprout also. I thought it was a goner. Not a Tiger Lotus,THAT did die on me for no known reason after doing fine for months.
But the N.zenkeri I think it is, has nice orange brown leaves.
Post a photo. :)

My Tiger took about forever to get going but I think that was largely due to my rope fish using it as a soccer ball and pushing it all over the tank.

Here it is....

Attachments

• IMG_4931.JPG
    IMG_4931.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 37

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back