Xenotoca doadrioi, black water tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Overhere a short video of my black water tank with my red tail splifins (Xenotoca doadrioi and formerly known as Xenotoca eisini, San Marcos). One of my favorite splitfins to be honest.
Like more goodeid species, they won't chase nor eat their fry. Goodeids do belong to the real livebearers (viviparous) unlike ovoviviparous livebearers such as e.g. guppies, platies, mollies, swordtails, etc.

xenotoca doadrioi, common name Gold saddle a very nice looking fish
a close-up pic
2007131215040_r.jpg

xenotoca doadrioi, common name Gold saddle a very nice looking fish
a close-up pic
View attachment 104741
Most used name in english is redtail splitfin. But in my opinion not the most correct name. For they don't actually have a red tail but just in front of the tail it's reddish.
IMG_9536.JPG

Oh, no... there are way more fish that can be associated with black water tanks.
I have mostly tetras so black water gives me the image of a South American jungle stream with very soft water. I was thinking of doing one but my wife was afraid it would look like we had dirty tanks :dunno: She has been very tolerant of me and all my hobbies so a black water tank is not happening here. :)

I have mostly tetras so black water gives me the image of a South American jungle stream with very soft water. I was thinking of doing one but my wife was afraid it would look like we had dirty tanks :dunno: She has been very tolerant of me and all my hobbies so a black water tank is not happening here. :)
That sounds like a normal relationship... She's deciding, he's listening... ;)

And a man should already be happy with ruling in one room. For all the rest of the house is hers... ;)

Last edited:
That sounds like a normal relationship... She's deciding, he's listening... ;)

And a man should already be happy with ruling in one room. For all the rest of the house is hers... ;)
Actually, I took over the dinning room as a computer room and repair computers, the living room is where I have my big tank and build my models, family room is where I have 3 more tanks and 1/2 the basement is my hobby room :devil:

Actually, I took over the dinning room as a computer room and repair computers, the living room is where I have my big tank and build my models, family room is where I have 3 more tanks and 1/2 the basement is my hobby room :devil:
Wow... then you do have a very tolerant wife... ;)

Most used name in english is redtail splitfin. But in my opinion not the most correct name. For they don't actually have a red tail but just in front of the tail it's reddish.
View attachment 104745
yes the tail is not red it looks more like a orange colour this is a problem with common names, over here xenotoca eiseni sanmarcos is better known as the gold or golden saddle common name.

Last edited:
Overhere a short video of my black water tank with my red tail splifins (Xenotoca doadrioi and formerly known as Xenotoca eisini, San Marcos). One of my favorite splitfins to be honest.
Like more goodeid species, they won't chase nor eat their fry. Goodeids do belong to the real livebearers (viviparous) unlike ovoviviparous livebearers such as e.g. guppies, platies, mollies, swordtails, etc.
Beautiful fish. Do you find that they are aggressive?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back