Xenforo Add-On Media Gallery Option?

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

D

Deleted member 149562

The thread regarding images that had not uploaded reminded me of identical issues that myself and my site owner had some years ago.

Currently on TFF anyone wanting to upload video has to use an external site such as YouTube, and some image resizing can cause an issue for those with limited techy knowhow

As I have said, in the past when I built and administered forums using vBulletin and then Xenforo software, we sorted out specific media gallery add-on's for each of the 20+ sites that we were running

This meant moderators had an easier time of checking image/video uploads for anything againts the rules, and members were able to post a link to videos and bulk upload images via the album ability in the gallery direct to threads rather than use external sites such as YouTube, Flickr etc Everything was "in-house" so easier to use and control.

It meant that threads were loading faster due to having a link to the gallery album, image or video rather than having bulk uploading on the threads themselves

I am wondering that with the new member funding in action, whether or not the site could not only handle but benefit from the media gallery running as an add-on to the written site. It would definitely deliver more traffic (thus the potential for more memberships). It would make things alot simpler for members who are not so tech savvy to be able to use the gallery without having to worry about resizing since that can be set automatically via the ACP or MCP. The same COPPA rules would apply as with the written forum along with an optional minimum post limit before the gallery is open to member use

Being the official Xenforo add-on, you would also have the technical back up from them along with regular updates as per the written forum software.

I am not trying to tell the admins here what to do or how they should do things, I am just putting the idea forward for possible consideration and perhaps something to look at maybe doing sometime in the future as a way to encourage more membership and site traffic.

The details of the add-on...

I didn't know what it was called but I thought about bringing something like this up. It would be very beneficial and a more easy-to-use site.
Thank you for bring this up to the forum! I hope the admins and mods are on board

I didn't know what it was called but I thought about bringing something like this up. It would be very beneficial and a more easy-to-use site.
Thank you for bring this up to the forum! I hope the admins and mods are on board
It is a big decision to make and the cost of the add-on licence has to be weighed against to potential use of a media gallery add-on

The monthly competitions could use it, along with the everyday images and video's etc from people wanting opinions or help with their fish and/or aquariums and their travels too. Keeps everything neat and tidy and in one place, so much less workload for moderation.

My own personal view is that a site like TFF can carry a media gallery and benefit from it.

However, it is not my decision (thankfully). I am just putting the idea "out there" given the success of the member funding.

I personally don't have a problem uploading to youtube and then posting the link here.
But as per your suggestion, I have forwarded this idea to the Admin for their review.

It is a big decision to make and the cost of the add-on licence has to be weighed against to potential use of a media gallery add-on

The monthly competitions could use it, along with the everyday images and video's etc from people wanting opinions or help with their fish and/or aquariums and their travels too. Keeps everything neat and tidy and in one place, so much less workload for moderation.

My own personal view is that a site like TFF can carry a media gallery and benefit from it.

However, it is not my decision (thankfully). I am just putting the idea "out there" given the success of the member funding.
Oh wait... When you mean "gallery" you mean that the files won't be attached to the post but instead uploaded to a separate place in the forum?
Or is it where you can upload multiple files at once to a post?

Oh wait... When you mean "gallery" you mean that the files won't be attached to the post but instead uploaded to a separate place in the forum?
Or is it where you can upload multiple files at once to a post?
It is an add-on to the forum.

Upload direct to the gallery any MP3, MP4, image etc instead of using an external website like YouTube etc, then direct link posted on the thread to that upload in the gallery

Means threads load alot faster (especially for those on slower speed connections away from home) and all videos and images are kept in-house and one place. No member resizing required, faster uploading and more space for those bulk uploads from holidays and other events too

The images already are loaded onto our site using attach file tool. Videos can be posted via a youtube link.

The images already are loaded onto our site using attach file tool. Videos can be posted via a youtube link.
I think what she means is using a faster software. And then you could also attach multiple photos at once instead of doing them one by one.
You could also attach videos without trying to upload to YouTube which takes more time and some people don't have YouTube or don't feel comfortable about uploading a video there

Or is it........
mutiny-mutiny-is-abrewing.gif

The thread regarding images that had not uploaded reminded me of identical issues that myself and my site owner had some years ago.

Currently on TFF anyone wanting to upload video has to use an external site such as YouTube, and some image resizing can cause an issue for those with limited techy knowhow

As I have said, in the past when I built and administered forums using vBulletin and then Xenforo software, we sorted out specific media gallery add-on's for each of the 20+ sites that we were running

This meant moderators had an easier time of checking image/video uploads for anything againts the rules, and members were able to post a link to videos and bulk upload images via the album ability in the gallery direct to threads rather than use external sites such as YouTube, Flickr etc Everything was "in-house" so easier to use and control.

It meant that threads were loading faster due to having a link to the gallery album, image or video rather than having bulk uploading on the threads themselves

I am wondering that with the new member funding in action, whether or not the site could not only handle but benefit from the media gallery running as an add-on to the written site. It would definitely deliver more traffic (thus the potential for more memberships). It would make things alot simpler for members who are not so tech savvy to be able to use the gallery without having to worry about resizing since that can be set automatically via the ACP or MCP. The same COPPA rules would apply as with the written forum along with an optional minimum post limit before the gallery is open to member use

Being the official Xenforo add-on, you would also have the technical back up from them along with regular updates as per the written forum software.

I am not trying to tell the admins here what to do or how they should do things, I am just putting the idea forward for possible consideration and perhaps something to look at maybe doing sometime in the future as a way to encourage more membership and site traffic.

The details of the add-on...

Hey @wasmewasntit - Great suggestion. 👍 I just wanted to let you know we installed it today: https://www.fishforums.net/media/

Nice one.

Hopefully it will be well used by everyone :)

Most reactions

trending

Back