Wpg

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was going to go out to get some more lighting for my tank. It's a ten gallon. I was wondering where I should draw the line in terms of lighting.

It has Hornwort, Java fern, Java moss, Wisteria, and Ludwigia, possibly more will be added in the future...

It has maybe 1.0 WPG at the moment. (15 watt mounted on the wall a good 2 feet above the tank)

Thanks,

DL

Forgot to add, C02 injection, with fluorite pea mix gravel, and liquid dose 1 or 2 a week.

dont use the wpg rule. Do you have uncontrolable algae? Your using NO (normal output fluorescents) lights right?

Hmm, the watts per gallon rule is more a guide, it is useful to gauge what may or may not grow well in a given tank though it is certainly open to flexibility as many on here prove on a regular basis.

If you can grow plants that you want and have no specific problems with algae etc then stick with what you have. If your plants are not doing so well then adding more light may help but it will place some other requirements on the tank aswell - you are adding CO2, so adding more light will increase the nutrient uptake by the plants. If you don't put enough back in then this in itself may lead to other problems.

No you cant really have to much light, however the more you have you more you are on a knife edge with the algae, one mistake and its an algae farm. That's why people don't really have lots and lots of light, it just gets to tricky to keep the tank stable :)

Sam

Okay.

It's 4.0 WPG at the moment with the new lighting system. My plants where doing bad, thats why I wanted to upgrade. I am having no problems with Algae so far. I guess i'll increase the liquid dose to once a day?

Possibly - you may also want to consider dosing N P and K depending on what liquid you use and what is in your tapwater.

Have you read the Estimative Index article that should explain what you need to be doing :)

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back