Wow, I have a bunch of new baby Bristle nose plecos.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Today I counted five new baby Bristle Nose Plecos in my 55-gallon community tank. Then they all disappeared. I discovered them while doing a water change. I wished I could have gotten a picture of them, but by the time I came back to do so they were all gone. My tank is heavily planted and I have one good-sized hollow piece of driftwood and another larger piece of driftwood that I made a cave out of. So there are plenty of places for the baby plecos to hide.

Wow, bud, wow, I just shined a flashlight inside the hollow log, and at first, I thought it was water movement flowing through the log. But upon looking a bit harder the log on the inside is full of tiny little baby Bristle Nose Plecos.

I don't have any other tank for these guys so I am going to set up another tank today and try and move them over to it as soon as it is cycled. I just hope they survive long enough. My angle fish could make a quick snack of these little guys.

Ok edited because I don't know how to handle this discovery. What does baby plecos eat? Can I feed them blanched cucumbers and zucchinis? I don't have any idea what to do for the little guys.

Last edited:
I have a tank set up for my baby plecos. Been feeding them spirulina powder, golden pearls (Ken's fish food) some small pieces of algae wafers and yesterday they got a piece of red pepper (which they loved-just like their daddy).

Congrats on your babies!

Thanks, everyone, and thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any of that stuff so I need to do some research and find out where I can get it.

Apperantently I have more than one generation of new plecos. The ones inside the hollow log are just hatched and I have several much older ones about 3/4 of an inch long. I have no idea how to catch and rehome them, even though for now they will all have to stay in the community tank until I get the 29-gallon that I just set up today cycled and ready. Tomorrow I am going to seed it with cycled media, for the next 24 hours I am running poly-fil in the HOB to clean the new water. So I will figure out how to catch the little plecos in about 10 days, move them into the 29, and then find a local fish store that might buy them.

Last edited:
I have been trying to get pictures of the baby BN plecos inside the hollow log, but every time the flash blurs it out against the glass. I even tried using a flashlight with the flash on the camera turned off, but this is the best I can get. You can see the log but can't see inside where there is a newly hatched generation of at least twenty or more. With just a flashlight I can see them inside the log.

But you can see a few of the earlier generations outside the log.
Hollow Driftwood.jpg

Here are some more pics outside the log, where you can see them.
BN Plecos 1.jpgBN Plecos 2.jpg

I have a tank set up for my baby plecos. Been feeding them spirulina powder, golden pearls (Ken's fish food) some small pieces of algae wafers and yesterday they got a piece of red pepper (which they loved-just like their daddy).

Congrats on your babies!
I found Ken's Fish Food website. What size golden pearls powder should I use to feed my baby plecos?

I need to ask more questions. The only other tank I have for the moment is a 29-gallon tank. I have just set up the tank primarily for my breeding pair of BN Plecos. By adding seeded media it should be ready in a week or so. This will only be for my BN plecos because I wish to breed and sell the babies.

Do you think this will be a large enough tank? Do I really need live plants?

I will be adding driftwood. I want to be able to remove everything from the tank in order to catch the babies. With live plants, I can't do that.

Fake plants are fine.
29G is fine for a temporary holding tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back