Wow, I have a bunch of new baby Bristle nose plecos.

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Today I counted five new baby Bristle Nose Plecos in my 55-gallon community tank. Then they all disappeared. I discovered them while doing a water change. I wished I could have gotten a picture of them, but by the time I came back to do so they were all gone. My tank is heavily planted and I have one good-sized hollow piece of driftwood and another larger piece of driftwood that I made a cave out of. So there are plenty of places for the baby plecos to hide.

OP
Utar

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Wow, bud, wow, I just shined a flashlight inside the hollow log, and at first, I thought it was water movement flowing through the log. But upon looking a bit harder the log on the inside is full of tiny little baby Bristle Nose Plecos.

I don't have any other tank for these guys so I am going to set up another tank today and try and move them over to it as soon as it is cycled. I just hope they survive long enough. My angle fish could make a quick snack of these little guys.

Ok edited because I don't know how to handle this discovery. What does baby plecos eat? Can I feed them blanched cucumbers and zucchinis? I don't have any idea what to do for the little guys.

Last edited:

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score

Boundava

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a tank set up for my baby plecos. Been feeding them spirulina powder, golden pearls (Ken's fish food) some small pieces of algae wafers and yesterday they got a piece of red pepper (which they loved-just like their daddy).

Congrats on your babies!

OP
Utar

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, and thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any of that stuff so I need to do some research and find out where I can get it.

OP
Utar

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Apperantently I have more than one generation of new plecos. The ones inside the hollow log are just hatched and I have several much older ones about 3/4 of an inch long. I have no idea how to catch and rehome them, even though for now they will all have to stay in the community tank until I get the 29-gallon that I just set up today cycled and ready. Tomorrow I am going to seed it with cycled media, for the next 24 hours I am running poly-fil in the HOB to clean the new water. So I will figure out how to catch the little plecos in about 10 days, move them into the 29, and then find a local fish store that might buy them.

Last edited:
OP
Utar

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have been trying to get pictures of the baby BN plecos inside the hollow log, but every time the flash blurs it out against the glass. I even tried using a flashlight with the flash on the camera turned off, but this is the best I can get. You can see the log but can't see inside where there is a newly hatched generation of at least twenty or more. With just a flashlight I can see them inside the log.

But you can see a few of the earlier generations outside the log.
Hollow Driftwood.jpg

Here are some more pics outside the log, where you can see them.
BN Plecos 1.jpgBN Plecos 2.jpg

OP
Utar

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a tank set up for my baby plecos. Been feeding them spirulina powder, golden pearls (Ken's fish food) some small pieces of algae wafers and yesterday they got a piece of red pepper (which they loved-just like their daddy).

Congrats on your babies!
I found Ken's Fish Food website. What size golden pearls powder should I use to feed my baby plecos?

OP
Utar

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I need to ask more questions. The only other tank I have for the moment is a 29-gallon tank. I have just set up the tank primarily for my breeding pair of BN Plecos. By adding seeded media it should be ready in a week or so. This will only be for my BN plecos because I wish to breed and sell the babies.

Do you think this will be a large enough tank? Do I really need live plants?

I will be adding driftwood. I want to be able to remove everything from the tank in order to catch the babies. With live plants, I can't do that.

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Fake plants are fine.
29G is fine for a temporary holding tank.

Most reactions