Wow! CO2!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Alien Anna

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I set up my Nutrifin CO2 generator system yesterday. I was a little disappointed to discover that when they said "suitable for any size of planted tank" they were intending you to buy a complete set for every 75 litres!

But even though it doesn't produce the recommended amount of CO2 for my tank, my single set seems to be helping already. My dwarf vallis has gone from a couple of pathetic yellow stalks to a bright green, healthy-looking plant with new shoots appearing through the gravel; my java moss (a tiny surviving patch about 1cm across) has literally doubled in size over night and my dwarf anubias leaves are uncurling and getting larger. That's after 24 hours so I'm excited to see what's going to happen over a month.

My GH is astronomically high, and my KH is pretty high so I haven't been surprised to notice little effect on pH as yet. This is all good since I learned the hard way the negative effects of pH swings on fish :( It's currently KH 14 and pH 7.0, which is the same as it was before CO2.

Anyone else using Nutrifin CO2? I'm seriously considering getting another couple of units for my 120 litre tank, although I'm not so sure it's that crucial to have the full dose. With small kids in the house (my son's autistic) I'd be far too worried about pressurised gas, valves etc. to have one of those expensive sets. There's not a lot he can do with a plastic canister of yeast and sugar water! :D

That sounds wonderful. How big is you tank and how much lighting do you have?

I tried a DIY CO2 system and the algae in my tank had a field day :( Now I'm waiting to get rid of the algae before I try it again.

Hi Dubby,
it's a 25 US gal, 21" deep Juwel Corner tank with 2x15watt Aqua-glow lights with light-doubling reflectors.

I had problems with algae too, all gone since the lights went when I was away and it had no light for 11 days. The biggest cause of my algae was excessive nitrate and phosphate in my water, largely from my tap water (we live in an agricultural area). I'd really love to get an RO unit one day.

I've now got the nitrates and phosphates down as my plants take off, but I think that's the secret - fast growing "starter" plants to get the whole thing moving. Algae is a continuing problem but I don't think CO2 is going to make much difference.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back