Wow Angelfish With Some Bad Fight Wounds

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ArauraDiscus

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently moved two angelfish, a pair who had at one time given me 200 fry, to my 55 gallon long aquarium. The reason I did this was because my male was prolapse. He had a massive bulge and his anus was hanging out. He's healthy and happy, but just can't help the female out anymore. SO I moved them both back to the tank with two male angels who hadn't seen these guys in almost 3 years. The two males were suprised, as they had been friendily sparring with each other for years to pass the time, but were good buddies. The second the female was put in, the males became agressive with each other. She is very laiden with eggs right now btw. They started off with a fairly angelfishesque type of fighting over a girl. When I realized she had chosen a new male within 2 days, I removed the other two males to leave them alone. I realized the extent of how agressive they became however upon inspecting the two angels I removed. One, whos is a gigantic angelfish, has scales ripped away allover his body which I didn't see before. The other male with the prolaps hasa had his tail nipped away badly by the female.

Moral of the story, be careful when dealing with breeding angelfish, they can be very agressive. I love my fish and I could have lost them had I left them together much longer. So be careful with what fish you add to the aquarium and watch for bullies. :good:

<Background music; "You Always Hurt The One You Love"> :lol:

Angels can be strange that way, dividers are a cichlid breeder's best friend. I've had pairs form from a group of angels that defend their territory & beat on other angels in the tank. When the pair is moved to their own tank they start to beat the snot out of each other. A divider helps them to get used to each other while not being able to damage each other.

Aggression is another trait to keep tabs on when breeding fish, just like any other animal. I've split up & repaired angels that were too aggressive with each other on several occasions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back