FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chadandchester

Reaction score
I've had a guppy and a cremesicle Lyretail Molly for quite some time, and the guppy has always enjoyed playfully chasing the molly around the tank. This morning, however, I guess he was hungry, as he decided to nip at the Molly until the poor guy had several red spots on him. As soon as I fed the fish, the guppy completely stopped this attack, but the Molly appears to be in pretty bad shape as of now. He only ate one tropical flake (which is very unlike him) and is constantly resting at the bottom of the tank. I'm hoping this is just him recovering from his injuries, but I'm very concerned as I've never dealt with a fish injury before.

I've used aquarium salt so I'm hoping that helps and I've performed a 25% water change using aqua safe. I have a 1 gal fish bowl that I could quarantine him in, but I'm not sure if that will stress the poor thing out even more. Right now he is lying on his belly behind some plants, so hopefully that's just his way of recovering.

Is there anything else I can do to help my Molly? I really love this little guy so it would be unbearable to lose him. Will he heal from this, and if so, how long should it take?

I can't use medicines such as Tetra Lifeguard because I've only had this tank for about 2 months, so I don't feel it's established enough, and it would likely stress out the other fish that are showing no signs of an illness.

Once again, any advice as to how I can help this little guy make a full recovery is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Tank size: 10 gallon
pH: 7.2-7.4 (hard to tell exactly)
ammonia: 0.03 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm (as of two days ago)
nitrate: 20 ppm (as of two days ago)
kH: 180 ppm
gH: 80 ppm
tank temp: around 77-78 degrees Fahrenheit (heater is not adjustable so raising temp is not an option)

Fish Symptoms: Molly that was attacked has several small red gashes from where the guppy decided to nip at him. Did not eat today. Lies on his belly at the bottom of the tank. Is able to swim when he wants, but is very lethargic and appears to have issues balancing. Gashes are near the facial area only, so no signs of fin rot.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: At least 25% every other day. I know it's a lot, but I'm a total perfectionist when it comes to water quality.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Carbon media filter. Tetra Aquasafe with each water change. Easybalance weekly and Safestart to aid in the cycling process. I haven't changed the filter cartridge since setting up the tank because I fear to lose too much beneficial bacteria. Is that something that might be beneficial? Have also started adding aquarium salt to reduce possible stress.

Tank inhabitants: 3 Cory Catfish, 2 lyretail mollies, 2 guppies, 1 platy.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Windelov Java Fern and Anubias Congensis about two weeks ago. Also added a couple fake plants and a volcano with a new airstone.

Exposure to chemicals: none other than the ones listed above

Digital photo (include if possible):

Tank inhabitants: 3 Cory Catfish, 2 lyretail mollies, 2 guppies, 1 platy.
To start with, 10 gallon is way to small for Mollies and Platies.

I've had a guppy and a cremesicle Lyretail Molly for quite some time, and the guppy has always enjoyed playfully chasing the molly around the tank.

This right here isn't "playful". As Nick mentioned your tank is not large enough for these species and the chasing is most likely due to pent up aggression due to stress (lack of space or other fish in a sufficient sized school). Fish might sometimes chase each other or warn others off if they have a mate (angelfish for example guard each other and nests ferociously when mated), but its usually pent up aggression due to lack of space and territory that the fish can claim as "theirs". I'd suggest upgrading your tank immediately to a 29. You can find cheap stands and tanks at walmart and pet stores and your fish will greatly appreciate the room. Of course let the tank cycle, but based off of the detailed information you've given us I'm pretty sure you know that already.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back