Would you try this water?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

steveb87

Reaction score
Hi All, I have been using a dehumidifier and have 20l of water. The reading are Ph6.6 Gh less than 20mg/pl Kh less than 10 mg/pl both 1 drop of test solution (not got a new TDS meter yet) Do you think this is safe to use after re mineralizing for soft water fish?

I once looked at using dehumidifier water in my steam iron. When I saw the bits of dust floating in the water, I didn't bother. I know the filters have improved over the years but I'd take a good look at the clarity of the water before considering using it.

In theory, water from a dehumidifier is the same as distilled water - it's water vapour which has been condensed, it's just missing the evaporation stage. So there should be zero GH and KH and a pH of 7.0. Since you have non-zero GH and KH, albeit very low levels, and pH below 7, I would wonder what is in the water. Air borne contamination (eg the dust in mine)?

I've done it, after confirming my dehumidifier was too cheap to have copper in it. It worked well, and I was able to breed a few species cutting my regular tap with it. There is a risk, but this fool got away with it!

I got neutral water with no tds from it.

I once looked at using dehumidifier water in my steam iron. When I saw the bits of dust floating in the water, I didn't bother. I know the filters have improved over the years but I'd take a good look at the clarity of the water before considering using it.

In theory, water from a dehumidifier is the same as distilled water - it's water vapour which has been condensed, it's just missing the evaporation stage. So there should be zero GH and KH and a pH of 7.0. Since you have non-zero GH and KH, albeit very low levels, and pH below 7, I would wonder what is in the water. Air borne contamination (eg the dust in mine)?
Thanks as I said my TDS meter has gone west and need a new one. The Kh/Gh was 1 drop to change colour so could be 0. The water is clear and we do not use aerosols . I did 2 Ph tests and 1 was 6.6 and the other was 7 so not sure. I am using it in the iron but at the moment do not have my RO system working and thought I could run a small tank with it. Thanks for your replys.

Mine says don't drink or use the water drained from the dehumidifier. It probably says that to cover them in case someone drinks the water and dies. I drain my water into the garden.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back