Would This Work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

McCool

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm looking too make my 4' 55 Gallon into a planted tank. I've been looking at lights, and I came across these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160899569641?redirect=mobile

I'm wanting to do moderate lighting. Not really excited about doing CO2, But if I need too I will. What do y'all think?

Honestly you get what you pay for. $60 for that unit is really low :/ I really recommend spending a bit more, to get something that lasts. Here is what I have and ever had any issues with them! Another plus about them is you can still use glass tops with them and even add on in the future if you ever wanted too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23753

Honestly you get what you pay for. $60 for that unit is really low :/ I really recommend spending a bit more, to get something that lasts. Here is what I have and ever had any issues with them! Another plus about them is you can still use glass tops with them and even add on in the future if you ever wanted too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23753

Yeah, I thought 60 was a little low! That one looks pretty nice :) Would the 48" work for my tank? Lighting specifics just go over my head. Would that be enough wattage to create a moderately lighted tank? I would really like for my plants to grow pretty quickly, although I'm really not looking into high light plants or anything :)

Honestly you get what you pay for. $60 for that unit is really low
confused.gif
I really recommend spending a bit more, to get something that lasts. Here is what I have and ever had any issues with them! Another plus about them is you can still use glass tops with them and even add on in the future if you ever wanted too.

http://www.drsfoster...fm?pcatid=23753

Yeah, I thought 60 was a little low! That one looks pretty nice
smile.png
Would the 48" work for my tank? Lighting specifics just go over my head. Would that be enough wattage to create a moderately lighted tank? I would really like for my plants to grow pretty quickly, although I'm really not looking into high light plants or anything
smile.png

Yeah jsut to be safe I would spend a bit more. Can't really research that either since there is no brand name
confused.gif

The one I posted would work perfect
smile.png
I use them and have yet to ever find a bad review on them. Great for moderate plants even some high light plants could grow since its a HO.

I am afraid to say you will most likely need some form of CO2 too with that much light.

Yeah jsut to be safe I would spend a bit more. Can't really research that either since there is no brand name
confused.gif

The one I posted would work perfect
smile.png
I use them and have yet to ever find a bad review on them. Great for moderate plants even some high light plants could grow since its a HO.

I am afraid to say you will most likely need some form of CO2 too with that much light.

I'll look into that unit some more. I will admit CO2 scares me a bit. The only experience with live plants I have is a five gallon near a window, but I really want to do this tank right! I really know nothing about CO2.... research time! :lol:

Yeah I know what you mean, there is a lot you need too. I am no expert at Co2 so please get other advice, but for a 55 gallon it's a bit too large to use a DIY yeast system and the same goes for liquid carbon. If you want to do it right you need to invest in a pressurized system, but be prepared to spend a lot for one that lasts.
confused.gif

Yeah I know what you mean, there is a lot you need too. I am no expert at Co2 so please get other advice, but for a 55 gallon it's a bit too large to use a DIY yeast system and the same goes for liquid carbon. If you want to do it right you need to invest in a pressurized system, but be prepared to spend a lot for one that lasts.
confused.gif

Dang. :/ I'm already kinda pushing it with the lights and a canister filter. I'll research it some more I guess. Thank you so much for the help!

Reason for wanting a canister filter? I have 4 tanks and have never used 1 before tbh. Maybe look into some DIY filters? There are some great ones out there, with out spending much!

Reason for wanting a canister filter? I have 4 tanks and have never used 1 before tbh. Maybe look into some DIY filters? There are some great ones out there, with out spending much!

Eh, just sick of my HOB filters. They just take up so much room and are messy. Haven't even started looking at canisters yet, so things may still change! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back