Would This Work!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

R1ch13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can Java Moss, Java Fern and Vallis do well without c02 ?

I would be dosing with ferts and will add some form of nutrient base for the Vallis .

I cant afford the pressurized c02 that I have been told to buy any time soon .

And me and my dad are sick of seeing the tank (240 litres) lying there on the floor in its box .

I could always add a few DIY units to get some c02 into the tank .

And my lighting will work out at around 1.8wpg !

Do you think this could be possible ?

Thanks alot

Richie !

Is your water hard?

I think it could work...

If you want to dose the tank ( but without using a pressurised system ) then you can always opt for a DIY yeast-based system or dose the tank with Seachem flourish excel which contains a source of carbon...

Cheers...

Thanks for the fast reply!

I live in Scotland so I have soft acidic water (ph 6.5 in current tank contains alot of wood though)

I cant remember my Gh and Kh of hand ill do a test though !

And yes I would be dosing with Flourish and Flourish Excel ?

Thanks Alot

Richie !

Don't use a fertiliser without carbon if you aren't using CO2 as this is likely to cause algae, due to lots of nutrients that plants wouldn't be able to take up quickly enough. Seachem would be ideal though.

Don't use a fertiliser without carbon if you aren't using CO2 as this is likely to cause algae, due to lots of nutrients that plants wouldn't be able to take up quickly enough. Seachem would be ideal though.

I will have c02 added to the tank in form of a few DIY units but I have been told this wont be enough !

I was recommended pressurized but there are a few tanks I have seen on here that just use DIY and are asround the same size as mine

So I dont see why DIY wouldnt owrk for me!

Especially when I am using easy growers !

Thanks

Be careful though when using Flourish Excel, as it can kill off some plants like Vallis.

I have found that Java Fern will grow in most conditions, even brackish, with low light and no ferts

Those plant will do fine without CO2.

Don't use a fertiliser without carbon if you aren't using CO2

Why is that? carbon is never a good idea in a planted tank, have a read of the link in my sig. No point adding it give for the carbon to remove it. I add trace to all my tank even the non-CO2 tanks, no problems.

Sam

Those plant will do fine without CO2.

Don't use a fertiliser without carbon if you aren't using CO2

Why is that? carbon is never a good idea in a planted tank, have a read of the link in my sig. No point adding it give for the carbon to remove it. I add trace to all my tank even the non-CO2 tanks, no problems.

Sam

I think they mean don't use a fertiliser that doesn't include carbon within it, not carbon in the filter, hence why they say Flourish Excel alongside a liquid fertiliser is a good idea if you aren't using CO2.

Is your water hard?

I think it could work...

If you want to dose the tank ( but without using a pressurised system ) then you can always opt for a DIY yeast-based system or dose the tank with Seachem flourish excel which contains a source of carbon...

Cheers...

Thanks for the fast reply!

I live in Scotland so I have soft acidic water (ph 6.5 in current tank contains alot of wood though)

I cant remember my Gh and Kh of hand ill do a test though !

And yes I would be dosing with Flourish and Flourish Excel ?

Thanks Alot

Richie !

Hi Ritchie

My water will be the same as yours , as I am just up the coast.

I was using no Co2, but using both Flourish and Excel and was getting good results with Vallis, Java Fern, Rotala Macaranda, Hygrophillia, etc.
I stopped the Excel as it was getting too expensive with a 400l, 240l, 60l, 50l, and a PFK cube.

I have now sent for a pressurised co2 kit for the 400l, sold the 240l, and will probably use the home brew stuff for the smaller tanks.
I'll also continue with the Flourish.

I have noticed that now I have stopped the Excel, the plants are not looking as good (obviously no carbon).
If you can afford daily Excel dosing (should be OK if it's just one tank), I think you'll get good results.

HTH
Peter

Be careful though when using Flourish Excel, as it can kill off some plants like Vallis.

Yeah, I read in sophos9's journal that was happening. I use Excel and my vallis seems to be doing much better as a result of it! Maybe it's just an exception.. (or sophos9 is!)

Thanks for all the replies guy!

All been great help soo I can do it then without c02! :D

Just gotta get me some Flourish and Excel all the decor and plants for my tank!

Wait on the stand (should be here in a few days)

And wer ROLLING..... Finally :)

Ill be sure to keep a journal on here so you can all see how much of a noob I am lol!

Thanks again

Richie

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back