Would This Crazy Idea Work?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishwarrior

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about this for awhile, haven't tried it out yet, it's probably just a crazy idea, but maybe it can work?

A pump-less filter.  Like an HOB filter, but with a drain hole drilled into tank that goes into an external compartment and fills it up through media then flowing back out the top like an HOB filter using no pump only natural overflow.  A question I had is how would GPH on something like this be figured?  If the drain whole were 1-2 inches would that determine the flow?

Another idea I had to test out the theory, my HOB overflow box, the water overflows from the tank to the box and down the drains through PVC to the Sump.  If I were to do the pipping so that instead of going down to the sump, it would go down to the bottom of display tank and back up over the top like a return pipe.  Would the water still flow as strong or would it be different?  The over is rated at 1000 GPH using 1" pvc.

The idea came from planning a plywood build, it's going to be relatively close to the floor, maybe 10 inches off and no room around the tank for a sump.  Another option is an overhead sump, but would like to see if this idea of not using a pump would actually work.  I thought about an internal sump but then I would be taking space from the tank which I don't want to do.

The water wouldn't flow on its own continually... it would fill the external compartment, but then it would just sit there once the height of the external water level matched the level of the tank.

This is essentially a 'sump' set-up, but you'd need some sort pump to empty the sump (enter the water back into the main tank).

If I understand you correctly, the answer is both yes an no. Yes, you can build an overflow into a filter, but you can never get the filtered water back into the tank without a pump...

No such thing as free energy.

if you manage it,
patent it,
sell it for millions
live off royalties
you have invented perpetual motion

Physics and hydrokinetics just doesnt work that way

DerpPH said:
Physics and hydrokinetics just doesnt work that way
lol I had to try
online2long.gif

Having a sump on a freshwater tank isn't a bad idea.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back