Would this 20g work as a sorority tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

hazyvonne

Reaction score
This 20g high tank is about 8 months old. Iā€™m moving all current inhabitants to my 55g community and Iā€™m trying to figure out what to do with this tank now. Does this look like a good setup for a sorority? How many would you put in there? And would you add any other fish or betta girls only?

And if this is not a good fit for a sorority do you have any other suggestions?

BFC0FC89-358C-454B-8917-8608EACB6386.jpeg

Imo no it wouldn't work because there aren't enough plants to break the line of sight. Ideally you want lots of tall and floating plants in a sorority to minimize the risk of aggression. The plants break the line of sight so the females aren't constantly seeing each other and they provide plenty of cover to hide/get away from the other females. That being said you would also want to get females from the same spawn to increase the chances of the sorority actually working. Even taking all the precautions sometimes female bettas can 'snap' and they can be just as aggressive as males. I personally wouldn't want the headache of having a sorority especially if you don't have back up tanks for any bullies you might need to remove.

Thank you for your reply! Looks like my plan for a sorority might have been a bit too ambitious for now. I'll stock this tank with something else and maybe revisit the sorority idea when I can get a bigger, better-planted tank. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back