Would It Be Really Frownd Upon......

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ben3486

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
...... if i got some oscars (tiny little baby ones) for my rio125 for a few months and then re homed them? I know they will out grow the tank but i fancy owning them and would rehome them befor they got too big.

I think most people would frown on it; I certainly would! I understand your point of view, but there are plenty of other chiclids that are just as charcaterful as an oscar and that could live in your 125.

I don't think anyone should buy fish unless they can care for it for it's whole life (bearing in mind times change etc)

Look at it this way; do you think it would be right for you to buy a Great Dane puppy and re-home it when it got too big?

Good point , well presented lol. I just get a bit excited as I have a big (big for me anyway) new tank that needs stocking. Then I see these amazing fish in all the different sections and get excited/carried away lol. At least I don't just do them lol. If the wife knew how many stupid things I think of buying I'd be in lots of trouble often lol

Oh, I know the feeling; if I had everything I ever had a wish to own I'd be drowning under parrots and pygmy goats and pot-bellied pigs! And a wombat, a feline genet and a racoon. Oh and a red-talied catfish, some ghost koi and some stingrays...

But it really is better if we stick to the things we can care for properly :)

You could do an angel fish, a keyhole cichlid, a pair or trio of dwarf cichlids, just to mention 3 types.

Im gonna try and be a bit constructive here... its a little far fetched but could be worth a go.

Pop to your local (and reputable/trustworthy) aquarium/fish shop and tell them that you would like to experience keeping oscars but dont have the space to retain them once they have strted to grow out... Would they allow you to grow some 2 inch Oscars on for them, until they are 5 inches or so. Larger Oscars sell for a larger price so the shop may be willing for you to do this.

Think of it this way - You would get new homes for them once grown and the shop would benefit from more expensive stock. You may even be able to blag the food to feed them with for free.

I have a friend who has a small flat and the biggest tank he can get in there is a 180l, he loves big cichlids and he buys small ones and grows them on and sells them once they are too big. Its a sad situation sometimes if you cannot have a big tank, but like big fish. Personally a 125 would be ok as a grow out tank for an oscar for 3-4 months, so long as you are well up on wc and have excellent filtration. If you are happy with selling on the fish once its too big then thats what you would have to do. BUT saying that how oscars get under your skin after a couple of months you will most likely end up buying another tank. Chops my rescue oscar was ment to be temporary till I found him a new home, yet I ended up going and buying him a bigger tank :lol:

That's what I meant in first post..... Get them and grow them till their too big for the tank and sell them on. Lol. Will have to give it some thought. Prob won't bother as I've just ordered loads of ocean rock and they prob do better with wood and greenery

Its not that easy to just sell on Oscars, every LFS has tanks full of unwanted Oscars, most people wont even take them for free, i would say don't do it.

Its not that easy to just sell on Oscars, every LFS has tanks full of unwanted Oscars, most people wont even take them for free, i would say don't do it.

Thats really sad. I never thought I would see the day that Oscars go unhomed... Can just see their little faces.. *sniff*

I think im localish to you Taunton Somerset and not every shop round here has tanks full of unwanted Oscars as far as i can see. If so do you know of any 7 inch plus Oscars for sale round here?

Back on topic i think you should be fine with some baby oscars to bring up then move them on when you run out of room, even though you might get attached to them though.

Thanks Darren.

I think im localish to you Taunton Somerset and not every shop round here has tanks full of unwanted Oscars as far as i can see. If so do you know of any 7 inch plus Oscars for sale round here?

Back on topic i think you should be fine with some baby oscars to bring up then move them on when you run out of room, even though you might get attached to them though.

Thanks Darren.

Yep im in Taunton to

Littlefish have a 10" tiger for sale at end of the row of tanks
Maidenhead aquatics at willowbrook garden centre have LOADS, atleast 10 10-12" in there weirs and in the smaller tanks they have around 10 5".

I had to give my Oscars away for free and took me 6 months to rehome them as no lfs would take them for free.

(same goes for easy to breed Cichlids like Convicts)

In fact i just gave away 5 4" Rotkeil Severums and a large Texas to pets at home for free. (and they are selling them for £18.99 per fish, they are in the big tanks at the top, half way down the tropical row)

In fact i just gave away 5 4" Rotkeil Severums and a large Texas to pets at home for free. (and they are selling them for £18.99 per fish, they are in the big tanks at the top, half way down the tropical row)

:-( :-( :-(

Nooooo.. this is getting worse. I am after some Rokteils yet can't get down to Somerset, as I was going to go Via Star4s and get some.. then I see you have just rehomed some too to pets at home... If I had known, I would have got the mother in law to collect them and house them in her tank for a bit. Sad panda!

As for rehoming large fish.. we do it, but there's only so many you can take. Oscars, sadly, we have lots of. People see their cute little faces and go weak at the knees... then the beast grows and it ends up back with us. It's not really fair, growing them on if you can't upgrade your tank at a later date.. most people want them smaller, so you can find they are in the small LFS tanks with a poor life for a long time.

If everyone thought it was ok to buy fish as fry and get rid of them when old. People like star4 would have no room for furniture.

Personaly I think this is a very bad idea. I do dog rescue and see all the dogs get dumped when they are too big. It's just like that IMO. Would you get a puppy just to get rid of it once it's too big. I like Irish wolf hounds but my house is not big enough for one so I will not get one. I know fish are not dogs but they are still animals not just toys these are our pets.

Yes it is very hard to find someone to take all these unwanted oscars. One reason why the Florida Everglades is filled with these fish. There are so many really cool smaller fish you could have fun with.

Totally agree with Snowflake, even worse i know people who flush there fish when they get to big.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back