Would A Blue Light Upset My Fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dorecs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have some clear blue plastic which makes the tank look pretty cool when I cover the light with it.
It is quite transparent so there is still plenty of light, i'm just wondering whether the blue light would mess with the fishes vision or sleep pattern or behavior?
I have 4 Platy's in a 40L tank,
I also have a plant and i'm guessing that the blue filter will stop it photosynthesizing? For that reason I would only put it on for an hour or so a day when everyone's around the house, it does look really cool.
Thanks,
T :D

I wouldnt actually cover the bulb with plastic as they can get quite hot and it melt. I have in the past used plastic sheet on a condensation tray to dim the light in a tank for fish that prefer darker conditions. It should not affect the fish, but not sure about live plants.

Without knowing all the data, it is difficult to answer your question.  So I will explain a bit, and hopefully that will help, but feel free to ask further.

Light is very critical to fish, and plants.  First to your plants: these require light of sufficient intensity to drive photosynthesis (this intensity does vary depending upon the species) and the light must have red and blue in the wavelengths as these are required by photosynthesis, and there is evidence now that green also helps.  The so-called "Daylight" or enhanced daylight tubes/bulbs with a Kelvin between 5000K and 7000K, with 6000K to 6500K being ideal, will provide this.  On top of this, there is duration, the length of time the light is on.  This depends upon the plants but also on the balance with the 17 plant nutrients.  Algae will take the advantage as soon as all this balance is out, meaning the intensity, duration and nutrient availability.

Fish care less about the type of light, generally speaking, and most would be happier with less than more in terms of brightness.  But here we come to some important considerations.  The circadian rhythm, common in all animals including fish and humans, is governed by light.  There must be a period of total darkness (the rest or sleep period) and it is best not to break up the "daylight" periods as this affects the fish's physiology.  A period of daylight followed by a period of darkness, one such cycle every 24 hours, is best.

Aside from the above issues, "blue" light in and of itself usually causes algae to increase.  Unlike higher plants that are more selective, algae can take advantage of all sorts of conditions.

Byron.

Some people switch to a blue light for about an hour just before bedtime. Sort of like a dusk period in the evening.
My youngest son's Betta cube has such an option on the light, but usually I forget to switch it over. The fish does not seem to mind one way or another.

I used to have blue LEDs that I installed in my hood on a separate timer. I liked to provide the fish a transition lighting for an hour before and after the bright tank lights would switch. Plus it looks really cool! So it does not hurt them, but I totally agree with Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back