Would a Air stone be a benifit?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
They can be quite good with gas exchange... They create surface agitation allowing oxygen in and co2 out... And also a gentle water flow around dead spots in the tank, providing you position them in said dead spots

Not really I mean they're quite generic in that they do one job....make bubbles ? it depends what you want your bubbles to look like so you'd buy the stone on aesthetics rather than performance if you get what I'm trying to say

Do you want a line of bubbles? A spot of bubbles? Bubbles coming out of something?

What filter are you using at the moment?

It depends on the type of filter that you have.
If you already have a hang on filter, external canister filter or sponge filter which can create water aeration, then you don't need any air stone.
Or if you find that your filter is not creating enough water aeration/movement, then you can get an airstone.

I have a fluval aquarium with an external filter just though it would help

If you have good surface agitation from your filter(s), an air stone is not necessary.

Some people just like the bubbles, and there's no harm in having them, in that case.

IMO, it IS a good idea to have a BATTERY POWERED air pump/airstone combination in your fish supplies as a backup surface agitation device in the event of a power outage, when your filter(s) would not be running.

If you have good surface agitation from your filter(s), an air stone is not necessary.

Some people just like the bubbles, and there's no harm in having them, in that case.

IMO, it IS a good idea to have a BATTERY POWERED air pump/airstone combination in your fish supplies as a backup surface agitation device in the event of a power outage, when your filter(s) would not be running.
A battery powered Air pump makes sense

A battery powered Air pump makes sense
I bought a cheap 3-pack of them on Amazon, for around $10 USD...saved (most of) my fish last year during Hurricane Laura, when our power was out for 6 days...

Any you recommend
Plastic multi-coloured airstones available from most pet shops, eBay and other online stores. They can be taken apart, cleaned and put back together. they produce courser air bubbles and put less back pressure on the air pump so the pump's internal components last longer.

I had at least one airstone in every tank. They keep the oxygen levels nice and high, which is better for the fish. They circulate the water and prevent dead pockets and help maintain a stable temperature.

If you have an external canister filter, you can have the filter outlet just above the surface of the water and it will splash into the tank to help with surface turbulence.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back