Worst fish keeping advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Heard a belter today at a well know pet shop in the uk..

I was third in the cue to be served in the aquarium section. Lady in there with her children purchasing fish, not sure what she got as they were already bagged up, but what I did hear was her say that her tank had been running for 48 hours and should she just float the bag for 2 HOURS before letting them out. To which the employee replied "yep."

Then it was the second person in the cue's turn to be seen. His opening line was "so what can I have in the tank with my betta?" The employee stuttered before suggesting neon tetras. The fella replied that he already had some in there and that they were as "boring" as his "lazy" betta that just "sits around all day." At this point I had to step in and offer advice to the guy, explaining that betta aren't community fish yada yada yada yada. Despite my best efforts, he left with 5 rummy nose tetras and a single platty. His tank is a 5G :good:

Heard a belter today at a well know pet shop in the uk..

I was third in the cue to be served in the aquarium section. Lady in there with her children purchasing fish, not sure what she got as they were already bagged up, but what I did hear was her say that her tank had been running for 48 hours and should she just float the bag for 2 HOURS before letting them out. To which the employee replied "yep."

Then it was the second person in the cue's turn to be seen. His opening line was "so what can I have in the tank with my betta?" The employee stuttered before suggesting neon tetras. The fella replied that he already had some in there and that they were as "boring" as his "lazy" betta that just "sits around all day." At this point I had to step in and offer advice to the guy, explaining that betta aren't community fish yada yada yada yada. Despite my best efforts, he left with 5 rummy nose tetras and a single platty. His tank is a 5G :good:
Wow.... terrible fish knowledge

Tbh have you ever googled something fish related and read some of the most misguided information you’d find! I don’t know who’s worst google or inexperienced pet store employees :dunno:

Last edited:
Tbh have you ever googled something fish related and ready some of the most misguided information you find! I don’t know who’s worst google or inexperienced pet store employees :dunno:
You make a good point lol. I once googled whether my betta was showing stress stripes or breeding bars. Walked into a debate on a forum involving around 20 people with different opinions. Was basically a "I'm right, you're wrong." "No, I'm right. You're wrong."
I was sat there completley confused on whether they should be horizontal or vertical for ages :rofl:

LFS that I won't buy from:

1. We're out of the (easy) shrimp you want, but really, you don't want them anyway because they are really picky and die quickly. These other shrimp (Crystal Black Shrimp or Black King Kong Shrimp) are way easier."

Me: As a beginner with shrimp, I had deliberately selected the particular variety they were out of because several different websites said they were among the easiest and least sensitive. I double-checked when I got home (without buying any shrimp) and found that the ones they were trying to sell me were labeled as more appropriate for experienced shrimp keepers by a couple of places.

2. We'll get the fish you want in on Wednesday and you can come pick them up by 3 or 4 p.m.

Me, internally: Wait, you don't quarantine them?

We now shop the not-so-local store (30-mile drive) that quarantines all shipments it receives for one full week.

However, I think my stories are not nearly as horrible as some of the stories y'all have already posted!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back