Worrisome Fish Behaviour

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FlyingFish78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've provided a brief video clip below of my aquarium.

I'm quite concerned about the behaviour of the Gold Barbs and Ember Tetras.

The Barbs seem to spend most of their time at the front of the tank swimming against the glass as though they're constantly anticipating feeding time. The Ember Tetras spend almost all their time at the back of the tank. Much of the time is spent swimming up and down the glass in the corner of the tank as though trying to escape. In fact, the Neons and Cardinals also spend their time and the back of the tank; as though they're scared of the Barbs. Unfortunately the Gold Barbs tend to aggressively chase any smaller new arrivals to the tank for several minutes before finally leaving them alone, so no wonder the tetras stay away from them.

My inclination is to give the Barbs to a new home so that once they're gone, hopefully, the smaller fish will become braver and swim at the front of the tank. The problem is that my girlfriend really likes the Barbs and it'll take some persuading to make her agree with my theory.

Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/fZrV4PV0HE8

I'm putting this out there to see what other people think and get some opinions about my fish's behaviour. I really like the Barbs and don't want to get rid of them but won't hesitate to do so if I think they're not happy in the aquarium and are causing the smaller fish to be stressed.

Many thanks, FF78

Sometimes it can be a sign of stress swimming up and down the glass, but they look like there playing to me.
Is there a current there. As fish love to play in the current.
What are your water stats please in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Lovely tank by the way.

Hi Wilder and thanks for the reply.

The tank's been up and running since December so ammonia and nitrites are down to zero and have been for some time. Nitrates are somewhere around 20-30 but I'm working on getting this lower by adding only RO water during water changes. PH is 7.5.

There is little current in that corner of the tank at the back. The spray bar pushes the water across the top and down the front of the tank.

FYI the Barbs are basically peaceful and no longer chase the tetras. They only briefly do so to new arrivals.

Fish do chase other fish now and then, but as long as it's not aggressive it should be fine.
As long as there not nipping fins either. Just keep a close eye on them to see it's not getting
out of hand.

Water stats are fine just needed to check. As you know bad water quality can be a stress factor.

maybe add a bit more cover for them at the back of the tank it could stop them dithering about as much :)

looking-glass said:
maybe add a bit more cover for them at the back of the tank it could stop them dithering about as much :)
My only concern about cover is that it blocks out the much needed light for the plants. You see, my tank is the Fluval Roma 240 and it comes equipped with sub-standard T8 lights; not ideal for plants.

Also I'd like some thoughts on whether by removing the Barbs, the smaller fish are more likely to feel at ease and spend more time at the front of the tank?

Well, cover is usually more often than not are actually plants, so you can add more plants to provide cover rather than decor or wood if that suits.

As for removing Barbs, well, I think I would if this was my tank as I am of the opinion barbs tend to be nippy fish, as well as possibly the gouramis.

That's interesting because I heard Gouramis will only attack their own. There's only one male and two females in the tank. So far the only aggression the male has shown was towards the females.

I agree that the Barbs should go but my missus loves them and I'd hate to get rid of them only to find that it had no effect on the smaller fish behaviour.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back