Worried About My Stand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

junosama

Reaction score
I currently have my 30 gallon tank on a dresser, which is pretty sturdy but its been worrying me a bit.

It started making some creaking noises tonight and also there is a very tiny gap under the tank in the center where its not perfectly level in the middle i guess. How can u tell if a piece of furniture will support a tank? I mean i cant imagine the wood stands they sell at petco are better built than this solid wood dresser, but the slight gap under the tank worries me too...

Should i try and move it to a real tank stand?

It doesn't sound good if there is a gap under the tank in the middle. I'd put it on a proper aquarium stand. A 30g tank is really heavy, and a lot of furniture won't be able to take the weight.

Alright hopefully it will last a few days knock on wood till i can buy a stand...

Yes definately get a stand, and, if you can, syphon half the water out of the aquarium (not trying to panic you) a 30g tank holds 21stone (UK) or 18stone(US)....

Back in the old days, my brother tried his hand at fissh keeping and had 2 4foot tanks each on a strong dresser, both eventually broke (one spectacularly). I know fish stands are expensive, but its amazing that you can get 2nd hand for cheap, its not neccesarily the material that the stand is made of, but the way it is braced to spread the load.

Good luck!

Im thinking about taking out some of the water tonight. Would my fish be ok without a running filter for 24 hours? Also would the filter media be ok as long as i kept it in tank water?

Ok i emptied half the tank and kept one bucket full and put the filter media in there. I'm gonna go get a stand tomorrow first thing then move the fish into the bucket while i empty some more water so i can actually lift the tank to the new stand. WHEW

BTW thank god for water siphons and 5 gallon buckets. If anyone does not have those two items yet GET THEM. In fact a second bucket might even be useful.

Hope my barbs will be ok i know my frogs will.

Should be fine, I think you made a good move, not sure what filter you have, but could it be laid on its side in the water? but for 24 hours you should be fine I think... do you have an air pump? that will help :)

Would the bubbler go with the fish or the filter bucket? I assume the fish?

Make sure you empty ALL of the water and substrate from the tank before you try to lift it. If not the bottom could break, and then you would have problems! :good:

Well i couldnt get all the water and gravel out but nothing broke so i think im ok. I got it on the new stand from petco and everything is ok so far. Lets hope this stand does ok and my fish survive this stressful ordeal.

Remove the top drawer and see if the tank edges land on a support bracket. If not, see if you can adjust the tank to rest on cross members. You can always modify the dresser with support and open a shelf for your foods, chemicals and accessories. Most store bought stands do not have top panels.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back