Worried about my platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

lynz212004

Reaction score
Hi my platy hasnā€™t been herself the last couple of days, she is hiding lots and when she isnā€™t hiding she is right at the top of the tank taking air-please see photo. Is she pregnant or is she ill? Tia x

Attachments

• C44282FC-247F-41B7-B2F0-22B1FA90F0F2.jpeg
    C44282FC-247F-41B7-B2F0-22B1FA90F0F2.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 27
I can't tell anything form pictures due to a dodgy monitor but if you post a video, hopefully someone will be able to view it and help. You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If you provide some info about the tank and fish (eg: how long you have had it, water quality, etc), that will help too.

She defo doesnā€™t seem right Iā€™m going to take some videos and a water specimen to my local fish store and ask their advice as Iā€™m worried about her. Thank you for your reply

Before taking a water specimen, do a 25% water change. That is always step one when fish look off.

Here is a link to a video I have uploaded. The water levels are all perfect according to the fish shop

It is a 20L tank 4 danios, 3 platy and one little baby platy that was born about 4 weeks ago šŸ™ˆ I have had the tank and fish since end of July

She defo doesnā€™t seem right Iā€™m going to take some videos and a water specimen to my local fish store and ask their advice as Iā€™m worried about her. Thank you for your reply
You might be better off buying a kit and doing the testing yourself.

Next time ask the shop for the numbers. Shop workers often haven't a clue and will say the readings are fine when they are not. The only good levels are zero ammonia and nitrite and nitrate below 20 ppm.

It is a 20L
Do you mean 20 litres or a 20 gallon long tank? If it's 20 litres I hate to tell you but it's way too small for those fish :( They will be very stressed in a tank that small and stressed fish become sick easily.

There's a lot of questions we are going to have to try and help you work out what's ging on, and if you're new to fishkeeping this may seem a bit overwhelming. But it's an opportunity to learn a bit more about the complex needs of fish and how the tank system works, so hang in there :)

Firstly, if you really do mean 20L, you need to be upgrading (or taking the fish back) ASAP. For the fish you currently have, you'd be wanting to look for a 75L (20 gallon) or larger.

Did you do any form of cycling the tank between when you set it up and when the first fish were added? If so, can you explain how?

Definitely get your own water testing kit, IMO they're essential for any fish keeper and testing should be done daily when you have unwell fish. I would never trust a fish shop that just says the water is fine - what does fine mean to them?

What have you been doing as far as water changes and cleaning so far, and what products are you adding to the tank?

For now, assuming the tank likely isn't cycled and is well overstocked, I would personally be doing daily 50% water changes until you can get a bigger tank set up. Making sure to use a good water conditioner such as Seachem Prime or API Tap Water Conditioner/Aqua Essentials.

Can we get a picture of the whole tank? Also what sort of filter are you running and what is the temperature?

And one more confusing question - do you know the parameters of your tap water? pH and water hardness are important for fish with different types requiring different water.

Is it one of these aquariums?

Fish R Fun 20 Litre

If it is one of these, I'm afraid that @Essjay is absolutely right in that it is totally unsuitable for the fish that you have in it.

Thank you so much for your replies. The water levels are all in the correct parameters according to the shop, I will however buy my own testing kit, I use tap safe to make sure the water is ok as this is what I was advised to do. Up until now thereā€™s been no issues with the fish

Yes it is a 20 litre tank and is the one you posted, the shop told me this was the fish I was allowed for the size tank-it went on a fish point system so i am really confused as to why they told me this if youā€™re saying this tank is not suitable. I will have to get a larger tank regardless as have woken up to at least three new babies. The fish is still behaving in the same way so I expect she is either still birthing or they werenā€™t her fry and are my other females and she is unwell. I have given crushed peas as was told this can help them.

The filter on the tank is the one that came with it. Only thing I have added is lots of plants other than that the tank is exactly as it was sold.

Will be heading to the shops today for a new tank and will probably use this one as the nursery for the fry.

Thank you all so much for your help

Thank you so much for your replies. The water levels are all in the correct parameters according to the shop, I will however buy my own testing kit, I use tap safe to make sure the water is ok as this is what I was advised to do. Up until now thereā€™s been no issues with the fish

Yes it is a 20 litre tank and is the one you posted, the shop told me this was the fish I was allowed for the size tank-it went on a fish point system so i am really confused as to why they told me this if youā€™re saying this tank is not suitable. I will have to get a larger tank regardless as have woken up to at least three new babies. The fish is still behaving in the same way so I expect she is either still birthing or they werenā€™t her fry and are my other females and she is unwell. I have given crushed peas as was told this can help them.

The filter on the tank is the one that came with it. Only thing I have added is lots of plants other than that the tank is exactly as it was sold.

Will be heading to the shops today for a new tank and will probably use this one as the nursery for the fry.

Thank you all so much for your help
Sadly we see this alot.

Where people who are wanting to get into fishkeeping are given poor information at the store...whether it be aquarium size, what to put into it and/or the plethora of additives and other "stuff"

Since the fish you have are going to be reproducing pretty much constantly, you might want to go for the largest aquarium that your space can handle....something like a 17-20 gallon perhaps. You can get the full kit variants for around Ā£100 without a stand or around Ā£150 with a stand...such as the Ciano Aqua 80 or Superfish Start 70 or Aqualantis Amsterdam 80 which are basic aquariums, decent size and come with filter, heater and lighting.

When you change over aquariums, make sure that you use the same filter from the 20 litre since that will have some beneficial bacteria inside it to kickstart the new aquarium's cycle process. Cycling with the fish is not the easiest or quickest way, so you might want to get the new one sorted before transferring the fish. That really depends on what you want to do, what time contraints etc you have...especially in view of the babies that keep appearing.

As I said, you are not the first to be given bad information at the store and you won't be the last. You can keep the 20 litre as a spare/qt/hospital aquarium if wished.....it not really suited to having a solo Betta, should you want to get one to live alone in there later in the future as it is at the very lower end of the suitable size.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back