Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Worried about my honey gourami

Discussion in 'Gouramis and Anabantoids' started by Daylin Mitchell, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Daylin Mitchell

Daylin Mitchell New Member

my honey gourami started resting at the bottom of the tank today. He’s still swimming around like normal, but occasionally he just rests at the bottom. I attached a picture. Ammonia and nitrite are testing zero. pH is at 7.6. Nitrates are 20ppm. Is this normal? Is he just resting? I don’t see any other symptoms of diseases. He’s eating normally, poop looks normal.

2. Daylin Mitchell

Here’s a picture

Attached Files:

3. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fish Herder
    Pet of the Month Winner!

I would say no, how long has he been doing this? Nitrates are a little high, how long has the tank been setup? :)

4. Daylin Mitchell

The tank has been set up for over a year, but went without any fish for a couple weeks, and went through another cycle. It finished cycling last week

• Like Like x 1
  5. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fish Herder
    Pet of the Month Winner!

And when did you put said fish in the tank? :)

6. Daylin Mitchell

About two weeks ago. Early, I know, but the ammonia and nitrite levels were low at that point, and I have been doing water changes daily to keep the tank clean. There’s also a tiger nerite snail in with him

7. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fish Herder
    Pet of the Month Winner!

Sorry, I should have asked in post #2, how many gallons is the tank? Does he have a heater, filter, or light? Please include in your next post a full stocking list. (Of The tank the Honey Gourami is in.) :)

8. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

How often and what are you feeding the fish?

The fish could be suffering from ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

Increasing the feeding to 3-5 times per day will give the fish more nutrition and help it recover. Make sure you use a variety of foods including dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods.
    Remove uneaten food after feeding.

Do big water changes every day or two to help keep the water clean when you are feeding more often.

See how the fish goes after a couple of weeks of extra food. If there's no improvement or the fish gets worse, the post another picture and maybe a short 20 second video, and we can look into it more.

9. Daylin Mitchell

It’s a 10 gallon tank. It has a heater, light, and filter. It’s stocked with the honey gourami, one tiger nerite snail, and I recently found a surprise baby Ramshorn snail.

10. Daylin Mitchell

I feed him API tropical flakes every other day. I occasionally do freeze dried shrimp. He also seems to munch on the algae wafers I have been feeding the snail. I don’t think it’s an ammonia or nitrite problem, as both are testing at 0 and have been for a week

11. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

I should have put post Ammonia and nitrite poisoning. If the fish was exposed to ammonia and nitrite while the tank was cycling, it can takes weeks or even months for them to recover from that poisoning. Sometimes they don't recover at all and simply waste away because too much damage was done to them by the ammonia and nitrite.

If you are only feeding once every couple of days, then definitely feed the fish more often for a while so it can build up its strength and recover. Try to add frozen (but defrosted) foods like prawn/ shrimp, and brineshrimp.

12. Jan Cavalieri

Jan Cavalieri Fish Fanatic

It's possible he/she is just fine, while I've never seen a gourami this small take rests like this (they usually just float about) ALL my larger 3-5" Gourami's rest quite often - it really startled me when I first started seeing it - but that species just isn't a high energy fish and seem to goof off a lot LOL.

Mine most often rest on rocks (so they can defend their turf) but some rest on the bottom. I'm surprised he'll eat frozen/fresh food - I have to cut mine in to such small pieces for those little Gourami mouths only my biggest ones try to eat or nibble on it. Mine sort of like the algae wafers too. I did notice that (compared to my young honey Gourami) the gill's and rear end appear slightly red or irritated but it could also be a color variation. So if he was ammonia poisoned it could have caused the irritation.

He still looks pretty healthy so give him some time. He may also like a companion Honey - I always get my Gourami's in sets of 2 because they stick together and appear to like the socialization. While most Gourami's aren't aggressive fish - there is usually at least one bully in a tank - so if you get more Gourami's don't be surprised if one is a bully (but I've never seen them actually injure another fish - it's just a dominance game) - but the Honey will never be a bully fish - they are small and quite passive (and adorable).

13. Daylin Mitchell

Thank you! I would love to get him a companion honey, but at the moment I feel that my tank is just too small for it. I plan to upgrade to a 20 in the near future, so at that point I probably will! I love him so much, they are such cute friendly fish.

14. Daylin Mitchell

Okay! Thank you so much for your advice!