Worried about my corydora bronzes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishBearer9845

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys
Iā€™m worried about my corydora bronzes. Theyā€™re in a 60l tank, cycled the tank properly before moving them over to. 60/40 set up with RO:Tap water respectively.
Iā€™ve noticed the bronzes have what I hope is sand stuck to them all the time.
B754A345-C970-40AF-88EE-6D0EB64041AF.jpeg
In some lights they look like they have a gold shimmer over their bodies. No weird behaviour, eating well, congregating with the other inhabitants, bladder snails and green neons who have all been together a while. Parameters, 0 A 0 N 5-10 Nitrate, always struggle reading that one, ph varying but usually 7.6 depending on the accuracy of my emptying versus refilling after a clean, although Iā€™ve not tested ph for a while as I donā€™t chase it . Iā€™m worried itā€™s a kind of velvet, Iā€™ve read Oodinium is a gold shimmer.
Hereā€™s a better picture
FABCFDA0-E636-4676-88CB-1CDF4034EFB0.jpeg

B43CAE2D-75FB-4458-A515-BA763242720E.jpeg

The albinos donā€™t show anything but then it might just be difficult to see because of their colour. Any advice or opinions appreciated, just want my babies to be well :-(

Is that white spot? There's a thread on here about dealing with that and Corys

Fish have a thin layer of clear mucous over their body and fins. If they are stressed out by something, they produce more mucous and sand can stick to it. Stress can be from poor water quality, something in the water (chemicals, plant fertiliser, poisons, etc), or external parasites.

To check for velvet, shine a torch on the fish at night when the tank lights are out. See if the fish have a yellow/ gold sheen over their body. Velvet will normally cause fish to rub on objects in the tank but in minor cases fish might not rub on anything. You can also use a camera with flash on to photograph fish after lights out and the flash will pick up any yellow or gold sheen on their bodies.

--------------------
You can try doing a big water change every day for a week and see if the sand falls off. If it does then there is something in the water that is irritating the fish.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Looks to be excess slime, which does indicate something agitating them.

Cory in the photo is a schultzei aeneus corydoras, now considered same species but some sources claim them to be separate still.

Yes they do seem to be better. Iā€™ve moved out a driftwood Iā€™d moved from the guppy tank and they seem better now. I had a problem with bladder snails in that tank too. Removed what I could and the grass that had been lifted out by them. And lastly Iā€™ve stopped putting the aquarium light on again. I started putting them on to help with the plants Iā€™d move to there but now I have a different piece of driftwood Iā€™ve soaked for two weeks and boiled and then added tropical moss to. Combination of all the above seems to help as also the new driftwood is just as impactful but takes up less surface area and is more hiding for them.
Hope that all makes sense

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back