Worms!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hassan 2021

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys. Few days ago I had noticed a tiny pointy pink needle like thing coming out of one of my platys anal cavity. Behaviour is perfectly fine eating well however color was a little drab. All my other fishes are completely fine. Last night I started first dose of esha ndx and have dosed both tanks just in case if there has been worm contamination. I pretty much stayed up most of the night and saw this ( attached photos) monster popped out by that platy which I swiftly scooped up with the net. ( platys color this morning is looking vibrant)

Can someone confirm is it 100% camellanus and since it has come out shall I dose medicene again in 2 weeks and also shall I leave the medicene in the tank for another 2 days before doing a massive water change and putting my carbon filters back in.

Thank you guys

Attachments

• 20211020_103026.jpg
    20211020_103026.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211020_103002.jpg
    20211020_103002.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 20
Hi guys. Few days ago I had noticed a tiny pointy pink needle like thing coming out of one of my platys anal cavity. Behaviour is perfectly fine eating well however color was a little drab. All my other fishes are completely fine. Last night I started first dose of esha ndx and have dosed both tanks just in case if there has been worm contamination. I pretty much stayed up most of the night and saw this ( attached photos) monster popped out by that platy which I swiftly scooped up with the net. ( platys color this morning is looking vibrant)

Can someone confirm is it 100% camellanus and since it has come out shall I dose medicene again in 2 weeks and also shall I leave the medicene in the tank for another 2 days before doing a massive water change and putting my carbon filters back in.

Thank you guys
Sounds like you're on with the case well enough.
Whether or not it's camellanus, your treatment should be appropriate.

The only real use carbon filters have is to remove meds* and you were right on in removing these, prior to treatment. I'd leave them out and think about some more useful media, such as sponges or ceramic 'noodles.
As for adding more medicine, wait until your 2 weeks are up and see if everything is still okay.

Hopefully, your tank is well planted and adding some extra aeration wouldn't harm, assuming you haven't already got bubblers going and your surface agitated.

*Okay...so they can also 'polish' the water, removing very fine particles, but good maintenance should achieve the same result. ;)

Sounds like you're on with the case well enough.
Whether or not it's camellanus, your treatment should be appropriate.

The only real use carbon filters have is to remove meds* and you were right on in removing these, prior to treatment. I'd leave them out and think about some more useful media, such as sponges or ceramic 'noodles.
As for adding more medicine, wait until your 2 weeks are up and see if everything is still okay.

Hopefully, your tank is well planted and adding some extra aeration wouldn't harm, assuming you haven't already got bubblers going and your surface agitated.

*Okay...so they can also 'polish' the water, removing very fine particles, but good maintenance should achieve the same result. ;)
Thank you Bruce yes I had left the white pads in the filter to allow some filtration and surface agitation, in the other tank I have the cartridge filter so I removed it tied white pad around the bubbles part of the filter so it's still filtering and creating bubbles. I am glad I noticed the worm problem as I have a bigger tank currently being cycled so I will be transferring my fish into it and using one of the 2 tanks currently housing the fish as QT.

My one and only angelfish in the second tank that has been medicated is not eating it is showing interest but not going for the food. It was perfectly fine up untill yesterday when I started the treatment it was eating fine. Any suggestions?

You do need to repeat the treatment. Colin_T recommends doing at least 3 maybe 4 courses, one every week. This is because the med only kills the worms, it does not kill the eggs in the tnak, so the med kills the worms, the fish eat the eggs and become re-infected. The second (and third) courses are to kill the worms which hatched after the first course before they become mature enough to lay more eggs.

The angelfish - have you used any equipment on this tank and the one with worms? Even just your wet hands? If you have, you will quite likely have infected the angelfish's tank so you need to treat that tank as well. And any other tanks you may have.

Camallanus or Capillaria threadworms.

Keep treating once a week for 3-4 weeks, as Essjay mentioned.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate, and clean the filter 24-48 hours after each treatment.

Most reactions

trending

Back