Worm In Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bugdozer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 40l tank with a substrate of gravel over a layer of plant nutrient compost. Yesterday my wife noticed a worm thing up against the glass under the gravel, about 3/4 inch under the surface. I tried to extract it with tweezers but it squirmed away and hid and I lost it. Today we saw it again and managed to catch it and take it out, in fact there appeared to be two worms caught (unless it was one that got cut in half by the tweezers and the separate bits were still moving.
It looks exactly like a small earthworm about 2 1/2 inches long, kind of greyish pink in colour. I assume it can't be a normal earthworm as they drown under water, don't they? I am concerned there may be many of these living under the gravel and I hope they are not harmful. I do have live plants so I assume it may have come in as an egg or a tiny worm on one of those.
Does anyone know what it might be?

Detritus Worm. They aren't bad for your tank. Nor parasitic. They clean out the detritus in your gravel and usually stay in the gravel. Otherwise they make a good snack for fish! :)

Hope this helped!
Joeb

Thanks for the info. I have looked these up and it does appear to be that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back