World Of Warcraft

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I liked Rift for the short time I played it, especially the way my character looked.
But..I realize while I was playing, everything I did was very reminiscent of WoW and I was like why am I starting over on here when I can just keep playing on the game I've loved for years?

That's just me though. Everyone will play what they like and as long as you're having fun I don't think it matters :D

If they completely redesigned the entire graphics engine and visuals for WoW, a lot of people would consider coming back to the game; me for one. That being said, a lot of younger players would most likely not be able to play anymore due to having lower-end PCs (Yay!)

Unfortunately I doubt Blizzard would even consider doing this as the cost and logistics involved would be tremendous. First off you'd have to redesign every little detail of the world; from the smallest plant pot to the largest mountain. Then you'd have to spend several months ironing out all the graphical glitches.

But yeah, it would be cool if the game looked like it belonged in 2014, not 2004.

That being said, I remember playing it for the first time back in 2006 and it took my breath away: The visuals, the music, the immersion, the complexity and the sheer scale of the thing. My first ever sojourn into Westfall, for example, was like being in another world. I used to love nothing more than to get a little 'high' and play WoW.
innocent.gif

I think it looks great if you play it on ultra, but then again I could care less if something has good or bad graphics.

That's one of the good things I think is that even people with old computers can still play. :)

That being said, I remember playing it for the first time back in 2006 and it took my breath away
I'll be honest, I played it back at the start and the graphics weren't great back then either. We were moving away from DaoC at the time and looking for something new, and it was either going to be WoW or EQ2. Initially we went with EQ2 because we felt WoW was too cartoony and EQ2 graphics were so much better, but in the end WoW won on gameplay.

I couldn't get into Rift personally but I do play Guild Wars 2 occasionally. Still undecided whether to buy ESO on release or not.

This is not the place to expect a wow thread :D

I've been playing since vanilla, but on hiatus during MoP because pandas. Long time raider, alli pally heals ftw :)

Elder Scrolls Online; loved Skyrim, desperately wanted to like ESO - but after beta can only describe it as a conglomeration of all the crappy MMO tropes packaged with awesome wrapping. Dark anchors a direct theme from Rift. It won't last, though I wish it was the WoWbuster I dream of.

Or maybe Rift was a direct rip off of the Oblivion gates from the earlier titles in the Elder Scrolls series
wink.png

Nah I get what you mean. I like ESO more than most people but I still have a few concerns with it.

I haven't tried ESO yet. Call this a wild guess... But I bet it's really similar to WoW in many respects? :p

I would say not. I feel it's more similar to Skyrim than WoW. It doesn't have the usual 'holy trinity' philosophy of DPS, tank and healer - which I honestly hate. The active skill set is limited to about 5 or 6 skills rather than the complete spaghetti click-fest that is WoW. As a pvp'er I use keyboard binding rather than mouse-clicking to activate skills and WoW is seriously testing the limits of many buttons I can bind to skills!

Most importantly ESO is not focussed on grouping. It's designed to be a solo gaming experience in a multiplayer environment, something I really appreciate. I need a game to have challenging solo content and WoW failed hard in that respect. WoW equates challenging play with cooperative teamwork and solo play with boring grind, whereas I've seen some pretty challenging content in ESO that has to be done solo. That gets my interest but I also need it to be able to support group play, particularly so that I can duo with my other half and I'm not yet convinced that ESO has sufficient support for groups.

I used to suffer greatly when it came to binding keys in WoW but that problem was solved when I purchased a Razr Naga (thanks swifty) which has numerous buttons on the mouse. For raid healing I used the 12 side buttons on the mouse for my most common spells. In all honesty I liked having so many spells to use.

It's just the graphics/sound which sucked.

The lack of group play sounds like a disadvantage of ESO. I used to love doing elite quests in WoW where a group was absolutely necessary.

Is ESO quest grindy like WoW?

I had to buy a gaming mouse as well, although I didn't go so far as the Razer - mine just had three or four extra buttons! Craziness though, and I got the feeling Rift was even worse from my initial impressions of the game.

ESO does seem quest grindy from beta impressions, I was hoping it would be a bit more sandbox play-as-you-like but the current configuration has you completing every single quest or you won't get enough xp to level up. They may fix that before release as I don't think it was the original intention. I'll say the quests felt very fresh with more originality and storyline immersion than WoW but I didn't get past level 10 so still too early to tell.

You can play ESO beta for free this weekend if you like.

daizeUK said:
You can play ESO beta for free this weekend if you like.
Oooh thanks for the heads up! :D

Oh I've got a spare beta key if you would like to get in
smile.png
want it?

daizeUK said:
Oh I've got a spare beta key if you would like to get in
smile.png
want it?
Oh oops. :lol: I'm dumb. If no one else does then yes please! And I assume when you register with the key is when they'll give you a download link?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back