Workout Journal...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So, take it from your old uncle Thomas, PK. Fitness is a lifestyle change, not an event. You have to find something you can and will actually DO, regularly, long-term. For me, undisciplined degenerate that I am, that means finding something that I actually enjoy, at least on some level. That's why I run, hunt, and shoot bows: I will actually do them because I like doing them. I liked the weights class I was involved in before covid, but I hate normal, solo weight lifting, so I won't do it long term. Most people won't.

So, if you get delusions of grandeur, do way too much and wipe yourself out and make yourself feel terrible right out of the gate, you most likely won't stick with it long-term. I know. I've done the research.

Black tea (traditional iced tea) isn't bad for you, exactly; in fact some say it's actually quite good for you, but it doesn't quench your thirst very well because it's a diuretic. And it has caffeine, though not as much as coffee. I drink a lot of herbal tea post-workout, especially peppermint. A lot of herbal teas make good iced teas, too. Both are very healthy if you don't sweeten them. Water is good if your town has water that tastes good. "Sports drinks" like Gatorade aren't TOO bad if you dilute it with 1/2 to 2/3 water; the flavor can be a good break from plain old H2O.
That makes sense. I probably won’t be able to do all I did today, every single day.

I do enjoy running btw, so that may be an “always” thing.

About the tea... they have tea in pretty much every restaurant/fast food place on earth, but what kind of tea do I order? Sweet tea, regular tea, or water? Don’t get me wrong, water is good, it’s just boring sometimes.

Oh trust me, the water from my tap is revolting. So I get it filtered from the fridge. :hey:

Well, sweet tea will have a ton of sugar in it. Regular tea is probably what you want if you like the taste, but like I said it won't quench your thirst. It might be better than nothing, but I'm not sure about that. :) Herbal teas are probably best for that.

Failing that, 1/2 fruit juice and 1/2 water can be a good thirst quencher. I find pure fruit juice to be too sweet when I'm really thirsty.

I read your post, had dinner and some wine, found a great comic to read, and this is what I have to offer:
physique.jpg
Cheers!

Swimming burns a ton of calories because your body produces heat, and you're working hard. It also destroys your body fat %, so you'll have some nice muscle definition if you do the right things. For actually building muscle, do 100 pushups, 100 sit-ups, and 100 squats every day and then a 8 mile run at least 3 times a week. It should only take like 30 minutes for the body weight exercises, and and hour and 30 minutes for the run.
PM me if you want more info on how to swim.

Oh, I just read this a bit closer.
Running on rocks or for long distances isn't what destroys knees. Technique destroys knees. I've been running through mountains (8-10 miles) in running shoes with around 1/4 inch of padding for about 4 years, and I've never had problems. My dad has been doing the same for probably 15 years, and he's rolling up on 60. In order to truly benefit from running, I'd do some research on the Tarahumara tribe, and the way they run.

Another thing I'd like to point out is people don't develop muscle the same. It depends on your testosterone, genes, and build. There's nothing wrong with being skinny, and you shouldn't worry about what people think of you. It can be hard to just ignore it, but it's very rewarding when you can finally come to terms with your body and yourself. You need to workout for yourself, and not for other people.

Anyways, good luck. Music helps with motivation.

With my current health condition, I´m not able to all of this training. But I do what I can. And yes, it´s already mentioned by Colin that it´s not weird to be skinny when you´re young. Not all people, but a great number will gain weight by themselves when aging. I´m one of them... :)

Oh, I just read this a bit closer.
Running on rocks or for long distances isn't what destroys knees. Technique destroys knees. I've been running through mountains (8-10 miles) in running shoes with around 1/4 inch of padding for about 4 years, and I've never had problems. My dad has been doing the same for probably 15 years, and he's rolling up on 60. In order to truly benefit from running, I'd do some research on the Tarahumara tribe, and the way they run.

Another thing I'd like to point out is people don't develop muscle the same. It depends on your testosterone, genes, and build. There's nothing wrong with being skinny, and you shouldn't worry about what people think of you. It can be hard to just ignore it, but it's very rewarding when you can finally come to terms with your body and yourself. You need to workout for yourself, and not for other people.

Anyways, good luck. Music helps with motivation.
Yes to all of this! I started trail running almost exclusively about nine years ago, in minimalist shoes. It's all about running easy, light, fast, smooth, dancing with the terrain instead of just plodding over it. PK, if you're up for a good read, find the book Born to Run. There's some good instruction on natural running and overall athleticism, but it's also a really good, fun, mostly-wholesome adventure story. The Running Revolution by Romanov is a good self-coaching volume that helped me a lot when I was learning how to run again after a long injury.

HolderOn is right about bulking up, too. If that's what makes you happy, go for it, but work for functional strength, not just for looks. I'm pushing 50 and I'm still built like a toothpick. But I can run fast enough and work hard enough. Even when I'm into really heavy work--weights, construction work, lodge cooking--I never bulk up. I just get really wiry. I suspect PK will be the same. I know you have some aspirations to be a Navy SEAL. Not all of them are body-builder types, either; I've heard a lot of elite warrior types say it's the little, wiry guys you really have to watch out for. I know the same is true in martial arts, too.

I've always looked at my body much the same way I look at my truck: As long as it does what I need it to do and goes where I want it to go, I'm not too concerned with how it looks to other people. :)

Ok, haven't updated in a while.

I am going to do pushups every single day for the next 4 weeks, because I am going on a cruise at the end of those 4 weeks.

Here's what I'm going to do pushup wise:

First week: 100 Pushups a day
Second week: 150 Pushups a day
Third week: 200 Pushups a day
Fourth week: 250 Pushups a day
Day right before we leave for cruise: 300 Pushups

As far as reps go, I will just have to see. Yesterday I did 10 x 10, but by the end of the week, i want to have it up to 5 x 20, so I can go right into 6 x 25 for the second week. Yesterday was my first day of doing 100 pushups a day, and man am I sore. I also had a ton of arm work in the gym and at my work. (Lifting 18 pack sodas all day)

----

I'm also going to change up my diet, eating healthier, protein packed foods, and drinking way more water. (eggs, peanut butter, more fruits, etc. etc.)

----

Really hoping to see a noticeable difference at the end of these 4 weeks. My two friends who are going on the cruise are doing something similar to this, so it should be interesting to see how they look when we go.

Want to be in my best possible shape!

-----

Edit: Also note, I'm trying to increase my vertical jump for basketball, so I'm doing a lot of squats, calf raises, etc)

I have a total gym as well (Google it if you don't know what it is) and I'm doing things on there as well.

Day 4 of doing 100 push-ups a day: Much better, not near as sore. I’m going to bump it up to 6 X 15 + 20 for the next 4 days or so, because sets of 10 is getting “too easy”. (Not easy, but I’m not feeling the burn as much, which is a good sign)

Thought I’d add some progress:
F67B7967-BA9F-42AE-9C41-83475603D7BA.jpeg

Forearm muscles starting to get more defined, and I’ve noticed a bigger chest already. My triceps are also much bigger.

I’ll add some more pictures later, just to compare in the next few weeks.

Update:

The current amount of push-ups I do a day is 200, with reps at 8 x 25 (8 sets of 25 nonstop push-ups)

I’m noticed a big change in how easy they have got (when I say easy, I really mean easier). Also noticed a big chance in the size of my chest and triceps.

This week I’m hitting core and biceps hard, while still keeping the push-ups going.

——

I’ve been picking calories & protein for the past 3.5 weeks. Needless to say, I’m very sick of scrambled eggs.

It has payed off IMO, and I’m almost happy with how my body looks. I also gained 2lb of muscle.

—-

I fly down to Florida for the cruise Friday afternoon.

#nodaysoff

I see that no one has recommended stretching... If you dont stretch you will get injured very badly. And others have also said that this will be a lifestyle not just one and done... You may build up the teensiest bit of muscle but you would have to be on an even more strict workout program to really build in a short period. (My brother is a crossfit teacher)... You also have to know if you are doing things correctly, like deadlifting was hard for me to learn... I would honestly start off with a lesser amount of pushups. Youre gonna injure yourself more than anything... I understand that you want muscle and so do I but it takes more practice than you may think for working out... When me and you were talking in PMs I think I remember talking about how the amount you planned on doing were very dangerous for someone just starting... I could see trying to do 50 in a day for a beginner but even then, I can barely do 10 in one go... Of course I need to keep up with working out, but as far as I know, you havent really done any working out like this before. All I say is that maybe you should do some online research on more than one site and also be cautious on what you do. Also always stretch before and after a workout

Never ever do any major stretching pre workout. Only do some light stretches. Otherwise your muscles simply wont be able to preform properly. Chris Heria(youtuber) talks a bit about that.
Well yes never over work yourself. When I say stretching I am always talking about simple stretches

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back