Word Limit on posts what do you think?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Oy. On one of my other forums, the chat veered from elitism in Irish traditional music (the original topic), to the dangers of setting Butane gas canisters (and caravans) on fire. Nobody complained. Forum threads drift. It's what they've done since the dawn of the internet. Why is this even a thing in 2021?

I, for one, appreciate the detailed posts of Byron and Adorabelle. So do my fish, whose lives have probably been saved by Byron, more than once.

I don’t think there should be a word limit. Writing an “essay” as you put it, is better than just giving a 1-2 sentence response that most members do. This gives more information to the OP of the thread.

I also think that calling out the two people you mentioned above was very rude, especially considering they are some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum.

I don’t think there should be a word limit. Writing an “essay” as you put it, is better than just giving a 1-2 sentence response that most members do. This gives more information to the OP of the thread.

I also think that calling out the two people you mentioned above was very rude, especially considering they are some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum.
Very rude ? For saying nice things about/ to someone. Since wheb is that considered to be rude. Or I am missing something?

I agree with the wordlimit. I tend to ignore posts that long, explaining in words what one can figure out by placing one simple picture.
There should be a duty to place pics instead.

Words are telling the subjective thoughts of the OP, pictures give an objective insight.
The countless "fungus-issues" or "Ich-issues" which aren't fungus or Ich are examples.
One glimpse at a picture often make things clear in a second just before advises to raise the temp (based on that words).

Very rude ? For saying nice things about/ to someone. Since wheb is that considered to be rude. Or I am missing something?

I agree with the wordlimit. I tend to ignore posts that long, explaining in words what one can figure out by placing one simple picture.

Words are telling the subjective thoughts of the OP, pictures give an objective insight.
The countless "fungus-issues" or "Ich-issues" which aren't fungus or Ich are examples.
One glimpse at a picture often make things clear in a second just before advises to raise the temp (based on that words).
If only it was so simple. ;)

We are always competing with other information sources, too many of which are complete cobblers and too many of which are cut-and-paste 'soundbites', made totally out of context and inappropriate for the issue at hand.

Hopefully, by explaining the reasoning behind our responses, we provide a stronger argument.

That said, I do believe that a general inadequacy in literacy makes it difficult for many to actually comprehend what is offered.
If people cannot tolerate or manage a paragraph or two, how are they going to do the proper research necessary for good fishkeeping?
For sure, pictures always serve a useful purpose, but I won't start making simple drawings for some members to meet their need for crayoning. :D

Yahooooooo you've found another reason to value the fishkeeping abilities of other people.
"Cause they can't tollerate of manage a paragraph or two" woohahahahaha yeah right.

Yahooooooo you've found another reason to value the fishkeeping abilities of other people.
"Cause they can't tollerate of manage a paragraph or two" woohahahahaha yeah right.
That response suggests strongly that you are under 18.
If you're going to quote me, please read what I actually typed more carefully. Fishkeeping abilities are not innate, they need to be learned.
So how many people who clearly cannot look after their fish have failed to do the most basic of research?
...And why do you think that it is that they haven't been able to do that research?
How many times have failed* fishkeepers received masses of excellent (clear) info and advice and then totally ignored it or clearly failed to understand it?

*Word chosen deliberately.

That response suggests strongly that you are under 18.
If you're going to quote me, please read what I actually typed more carefully. Fishkeeping abilities are not innate, they need to be learned.
So how many people who clearly cannot look after their fish have failed to do the most basic of research?
...And why do you think that it is that they haven't been able to do that research?
How many times have failed* fishkeepers received masses of excellent (clear) info and advice and then totally ignored it or clearly failed to understand it?

*Word chosen deliberately.
It is always the way people read your posts.
Yeah right hahahaha.

Its all down to perception and having the ability to speed read :p

And to be brutally honest....there are many different things in life that require instructions and guidance but only around 75% (being generous there) actually read the instructions before throwing them in the bin, of that generous 75% only about 35% actually understand what the instructions said....the rest just muddle along willy nilly in the hope that once done the item/animal/thing will behave itself and not fall apart and die.

Not sure how describing all the work they put into their long posts as “turning the thread to custard” is not rude. Or am I missing something??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back