Woohoo - I got CO2 from my contraption!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

daveb

Reaction score
I never thought it would work, but I have a steady rhythm of bubbles from my yeast, sugar and water CO2 contraption. My only question now is - how deep should I put the airstone in my tank (or does it matter)?

I'm glad it is working for you. I'll be interested to find out about depth too, I was just assuming that it just gets tucked away on the bottom...

ALASKA

I've also succeeded with it, I fed mine into the bottom of a little powerhead and sat it on the bottom of the tank. However I was getting a bit too much co2 from my last bottle so i've made another that hopefully will go slower. I suggest watching your pH to make sure you don't over do it. :)

I'm getting a lot of CO2 right now - as in a bunch of bubbles every few seconds. I'm planning on looking for a valve later on today to help slow that flow a little bit.

What's the downside of too much CO2 - besides the lowered PH?

You don't really want to be putting any backpressure on your bottle by slowing it with valves or anything.

Too much co2 can be detrimental to the fish (over 25ppm according to sites i've read).

I think I am going to try just an airstone on mine rather than the powerhead, because i'm getting too much dissolved, as this new bottle seems to be going at the same rate after just several hours. :)

With just an airstone I don't think you'd get a noticable change in how much CO2 is in the water. It should really collect in a diffusion bell or bubble through a reactor of some kind. Best way to slow the strength of the injection is probably to just use less yeast.

That reminds me, i gotta "recharge" my CO2.

I have my airline tapped into the intake tube of my over-the-side type filter. The Co2 bubble get sucked into the filter and broken up in the impellar and i see little bubbles cling to the filter medium

ChriX said:
You don't really want to be putting any backpressure on your bottle by slowing it with valves or anything.

Too much co2 can be detrimental to the fish (over 25ppm according to sites i've read).

I think I am going to try just an airstone on mine rather than the powerhead, because i'm getting too much dissolved, as this new bottle seems to be going at the same rate after just several hours. :)
Don't I need a check valve so that the water doesnt flow back into the bottle by accident?

ChriX said:
I've also succeeded with it, I fed mine into the bottom of a little powerhead and sat it on the bottom of the tank. However I was getting a bit too much co2 from my last bottle so i've made another that hopefully will go slower. I suggest watching your pH to make sure you don't over do it. :)
I was just messing around my co2 tube and tried to put it in a powerhead... but it was causeing the powerhead to cavitate and stop pumping... heh guess its time to build a bell.....

I have 2 bottles of yeast, and a DIY power head reactor, but just with the outlet of my external filter, and at 2 bubbles per second in a 36Gal tank I cant get over 15ppm of CO2 so I dont think you can overdose a 20Gal or more with a DIY setup..
Just keep a check on the PH, as a DIY system could stop after a week and cause the PH to climb before you notice and replace the bottle..

Silly me said:
I have 2 bottles of yeast, and a DIY power head reactor, but just with the outlet of my external filter, and at 2 bubbles per second in a 36Gal tank I cant get over 15ppm of CO2 so I dont think you can overdose a 20Gal or more with a DIY setup..
It all depends on your mix and how much you get dissolved though. I thought I was making a relativley slow mix, but I was getting on for 30ppm of CO2, which isn't good when you're trying to keep fish in there.

Daveb, thats a one way valve, I didn't use one of those but I just put the bottle above the water level of the tank. The reason I said you don't want to be putting any pressure on the bottle is because I read this: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/yeast-disaster.html ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back