Wonder Shells

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
Reaction score
Saw them at my LFS yesterday. They claim to neutralize chlorine instantly. You can also add them to your aquarium to raise the gh. Has anybody ever heard of them?
1670260779778.png

As they dissolve they will no doubt affect water chemistry, likely gH. I've always held that with some rare exceptions, a hobbyist is better served by 'living' with his/her source water as it is because when adding additives you can too easily end up 'chasing your tail' (so the speak) resulting in ever changing chemistry (bad for our fish friends).
Now as to exceptions, if you have 'liquid rock' water, or water way too soft, you might be forced to add something to have any fish at all. But to do so, requires research and sometimes experimentation to discover the correct additive(s) and amounts...not for the casual hobbyist. :)

Natural sea shells are mainly calcium carbonate with a small amount of magensium carbonate. If there is free caroline in the water with will react with the calcium carbonate creating Calcium chloride and CO2. This also pushes up GH. Calcium chloride is safe for animals and plants and it is often used in commercial GH booster. Natural sea shells will neutralize chloride and excess sulfates that can push the PH down. Most fertilizers and GH boosters have more sulfate than needed so after the plant consumes the GH excess sulfate remains in the water and will cause the PH to drift down. Calcium carbonate is only soluble in acidic water. It will not dissolve in water with a PH of 7 or higher I use a GH booster and use seashellsI to keep my PH near 7. I don't know what they use to make wonder shells but if it has calcium carbonate it would work like a regular sea shell. Crushed coral is also calcium carbonate.

Get all the information on these that you need from here https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/MedicatedWonderShell.html#overview

Many years ago I got into an argument with the site owner ( Carl Strohmeyer) about the nitrifying bacteria. He tried to claim that these were gram positive bacteria when the opposite is the case. I had to work really hard to get him to change his mind. I never had any interest in Wonder shells. BTW, they do not remove chlorine. And Carl states this on the site. He has also developed a medicated version.

However, there is some very excellent information on the site re using ultraviolet in tanks and then giving great info on various different product.

I have soft water and I have snails and shrimp and plants. In some tanks I use a bit of SeaChem Equibrium.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back