Wolf Pack Guppys?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

enchanted

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Alright, I spoil my fish rotten and now it seems to be showing. All of my guppys are over 2" in length and they are almost acting teritorial?

These are 10 Adult Guppys (2 Male and 8 Female) in a 6' 125 Gallon tank.

First, they chase corys away from algae wafers and cory wafers, and no it isn't lack of food they are doing this after I just fed them flakes and freeze dried tubifex worms. :/

I'm wondering if they are not the reason my Tetras are still in hiding. :(

Any ideas here?

Tank Params are:
Amm 0
Nitri 0
Nitra 7 (averages between 5 and 7)
PH 7.4

this is a fully planted aquarium (my 125 Gallon).

Any advice, help please.

I have had female guppies that get nippy towards tetras, but the tetras still come out for food, etc. Right now i have a female sword that hates my tetras and charges them, but the tetras dont act differently, they just dodge her alot of the time. :S Dunno what to tell you, if your tetras are still eating I wouldn't much worry about it.

guppys are not thoght of as shouling or territorial fish but they really are. sometimes it doesn't show until the fish have been in the tank for a few months. i notice the same with my guppys but there arnt quite as many of them. the best way to disrupt this iv heard is to remove a couple of the fish and introduce new ones in their place, then after a week re introduce the fish that had been removed. if u do not have the room for a few extra fish u can just periodically remove guppys and re introduce them. im thinking the males are a part of the problem, try removeing the first :thumbs:

Actualy that's something I've noticed with a lot of fish that people generaly over-look as being territorial. I wouldn't worry about it much provided everyone is getting their fill and no-one is getting hurt.

edit: you could also try re-arranging the tank decor every now and then.

i noted the same thing with my 5 week olds teh other day.

they pigpile on the alge wafers and chase the adults off.... they dont school like tetras... more eraticly and spred out than the tetras..... but they do seem to stick together when theres food.
maybe they know there safe with there own size/age and stick together for safty?
i noticed the 2 week olds dont stick together at all.....

I've got Neon Tetras, glowlights and blacklight(?) tetras in a tank with guppies and cories and everyone seems to get along great, except with guppies the attitude seems to be "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too". :rolleyes: The more timid tetras tend to school down one end of the tank among some overhanging plants, so after I put some flakes into the water for the guppies at one end I drop some more down the tetras end. They seem to get food just fine and I've got some mega size guppies too.

The cories are big enough they tend to sit on their food and keep the guppies off it for abit. Otherwise it seems to be everyone for themselves but they're all doing fine. The black tetras are soooo fast they just zip right through the guppies like a Porsche past a streetcleaning machine and snag whatever food they need. The Neons seem abit more timid so I usually feed them away from the guppies, just give yer little guppy oinkers the food first down one end and while that stampede is going on you can feed the glowlights and neons in peace. :lol:

Well, my corys don't sit on them but they do battle for them. :) A female guppy wanted the last chunk of a cory wafer. It was to big for either of there mouths so it was a "it's mine" and the guppy took it out of the corys mouth then a "it's mine" and the cory took it out of the guppys mouth battle. LOL

And when I say wolf pack I wasn't joking. Algae wafers are like candy to my guppys. I drop one in the tank for the corys and I get 6 guppys down their when they figure out it's there. That is if they have been fed or not. :/

Yep, I agree on the wolf pack bit. Anything dropped into the tank, my gupps figure it hasta be edible and they're gonna get it NOW and get it first and look out I'm running over anybody else who's in my way. :rolleyes: I have never seen a "I'll pass on the second course" guppy in my life! My tetras are kinda used to the guppy attitudes by now and they just charge in as well and grab stuff while the guppies are porking out too.

That's very funny about the "it's mine" mouth battle between the guppy and the corey. I wish I'd see it, I'd have split a gut laughing. I love cories :wub: they don't care how much the guppies try to bully them, they sit their little armoured tank bodies down over the shrimp wafers and wait til the guppies get bored and move on looking for more food then they eat their stash in peace. Once a guppy female rammed a corey along it's side trying to move it off a shrimp pellet. It was about as useful as a cow trying to butt a tank. The corey was not impressed, didn't move, and I think the guppy got a sore nose. :lol:

Well, when I first moved the cory fry they were too big for the guppys mouth but the right size to look sorta like food.

The guppys gave chase till the fry found the adults and the adults became barricades. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back