Winter temp in tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Noticed now its winter and the house heating is on more my Odessa tank temp as gone up from 25.5c to highs of 26.9c.

Might sound a silly question but is this ok for the fish over the winter period? (First xmas with fish :santa:)

House heating is usually not an issue. Room temperature is most often 72F (22.2c) and aquarium temps are usually 76F-78F (24.4c - 25.5c). 26.9c (80.4F) is not harmful except higher temps do tend to increase metabolism. There is some debate as to how this affects life span, with some claims that fish in higher temperature waters are more active with shorter life spans.
Although I have sometimes seen higher temps up to 80F in summer, all of my tanks typically see 76F-78F year round so I'm no expert on prolonged higher temps.

Is your tank near a heater or heat duct outlet?

I concur. I live in Kentucky, where it gets to be 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer, and drops to 15 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter! I just constantly watch my thermometer, even in the summer. You don’t want your tank water being to hot, or to cold. (Sort of a Goldilocks complex. :lol:)

My tanks always stay pretty consistent. Perhaps because I have central a/c and heat???

House heating is usually not an issue. Room temperature is most often 72F (22.2c) and aquarium temps are usually 76F-78F (24.4c - 25.5c). 26.9c (80.4F) is not harmful except higher temps do tend to increase metabolism. There is some debate as to how this affects life span, with some claims that fish in higher temperature waters are more active with shorter life spans.
Although I have sometimes seen higher temps up to 80F in summer, all of my tanks typically see 76F-78F year round so I'm no expert on prolonged higher temps.

Is your tank near a heater or heat duct outlet?
No, its in a corner away from any radiators etc

Weird. So it’s not near any heating ducts, fireplaces, etc?
No nearest heat source is about 12 feet away on oppsite wall. I have just purchased a new digital thermometer for this tank and thought maybe it reads slightly different to my old one but then realised its got to be because the heatings on most the day because of the cold weathers arrived. Might try another thermometer later tho just to rule it out.

Since the tank is not near a heat source and if your room temperature is just a comfortable 72F (22.2)~ then is may suggest a problem with your heater!!
As suggested, test with another thermometer and watch the temperature closely - sometimes heaters will stick on intermittently and if they do consistently, tank temps can get way too high.

Is it up all the time or does it go up when the lights are on?

I had my tank set at 76 and it stayed steady there but then we just had a cold snap here and it been steady at 72 ever since. I dialed the temp up a little on the heater but it still stays 72.

20191203_181252.jpg
Tested with another thermometer and theres a little difference.

The last couple of days while ive noticed its been around 26.5 earlier in the day then 26.7/26.9 at night. Upstairs tanks are all normal 25.5 c

Ill carry on monitoring it closely over the coming days.

Is it up all the time or does it go up when the lights are on?
Up all the time. My heaters set at 25c but only noticed the small increase the last few days since putting the new thermometer in. Could do with checking it early hours when heatings off and rooms cool.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back