Wine Boxes - BIB.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lateral Line

It's full of stars
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Until recently, I bought wine in bottles. Earlier this year, a reasonable Australian wine I buy appeared also in a "Bag in Box", (a BIB), at a substantial discount. So I bought one. It was very good, I have now bought several of these things and the quality of the wine is very good.

Curious as to how they worked, when one was empty I opened the box up leading to...

"Tip of the Day" number 1

An "empty" BIB always seems to have at least another glass full in it if you take the bag out.

"Tip of the Day" number 2

In each case I have opened one, I have found the bag itself to be made of highly reflective Mylar film, a material I have often used and frequently advocate tank hoods to be lined with as it makes a great DIY reflector - a tasty source of Mylar.

just FYI, we always drink boxed wine and the brand that i usually get (franzia or something like that - who pays attention to brands when it is only $10 for 5 liters? haha) comes in a see-through bag...so not all brands will have this mylar - maybe the brand name would help!

>>> maybe the brand name would help!

So far, all of the BIB's I have opened have been made of Mylar. These include:

Banrock Station Semillion/Chardonnay, (Australian)
Hardy's "Stamp" Shiraz (Australian)
Hardy's "Stamp" Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon (Australian)
Hardys "VR" Chardonnay (Australian)
Concha y Toro "Sunrise" Merlot (Chilean)
Concha y Toro "Sunrise" Camanere (Chilean)

I remember Franzia wine from my time in Aus. It is, errr, not the best, but my host was a beer drinker and so wine was wine.

I found this which mentions both Mylar and Franzia.

Australian wine is the best! Chille and South Africa not far behind, One note on this subject if you have drunk the whole contents make sure you fix the reflector straight, vision you be shot due to consumption, :D

great tip!

I drink that kind of wine too!! :lol: I also drink wine in the bottle but my girlfriends and I can go through a couple bottles in a short period of time :whistle:

Hi LL :)

Good tip! I'll have to do a little research to find out which brands are sold in the US with that kind of bag. ;)

I suppose the BIB is hitting two birds with one stone
lol after a box i dont think i could a barn door with a shovel at 2 paces :crazy:
cheers for link comes in well handy.

Wine from boxes is wrong wrong wrong wrong! :angry:

All the stuff I've had from boxes could be used to strip paint or to top up battery acid. Not good.

Wine should come from the bottle and once the cork is out it should never return. :nod:

Hmm, all this talk makes me fancy a bottle right now. Shame I'm at work...Maybe a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon is in order.... :drool:

It's a shame I'm under 21. Not that it really matters to most people my age anyways... but I don't drink.

I'll have to ask around, I'm sure someone I know drinks that stuff and can give my the Mylar from the inside. On a side note, someone once gave me a bottle and cork labelled "Kenwood" because I used to have a horse named Kenwood.

>>> why dont you just buy the Mylar

1m Mylar from that supplier, assuming you use the cheap stuff £2.50. About ½m Mylar from an empty BIB, free, and useful recycling.

>>> Wine from boxes is wrong

There is a big difference between a BIB and a box. I agree about wine in ordinary boxes, no use for even cooking. The BIB is actually a very decent device. More and more better wines are appearing in them.

I can't remember how many bottles of wine I've had to take back over the years because it was corked.

>>> something across space

Looks like the first and second stages of the Volna launch vehicle failed to seperate and the solar sail ship crashed into the Barents Sea.

>>> I'm under 21.

The legal age for buying alchohol here, (Denmark), has just been raised from 15 to 16.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back