Will two male gouramis be ok togeter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aquarius

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I got two new gouramis today and it looks like both are male, i looked at their dorsal fin, which is pointy. They are pretty small right now, less than an inch. I'm still trying to figure out what sort they are, they look like honey gouramy. But anyway, right now there's no problem but do you think there might be in the future? Is it better to have a pair of female and male? I don't want them to be agressive to each other

I currently have 2 opaline gouramis in a 20 gal. long tank. One is older & larger than the other and is the dominant one. He picks on the smaller one, but so far, no injuries. Now that the smaller one is growing, it is starting to stick up for itself, and they spar regularly. The smaller one is standing his ground pretty nicely. I think eventually that they will each dominate one side of the tank. As far as your two gouramis, since they are growing up together, the aggression may stay at a minimum. It's like with most fish, that different personalities may or may not get along. You may want to get another tank (you'll probably get the MTS anyway) just in case they don't get along. I hope it works out. It seems to be okay for me so far.

The males of almost all gourami species are territorial and aggressive towards each other. Sooner or later they will want a territory of their own. Still, as Terminator said, it can work out depending on the personalities of the fish. How big is your tank? Several gourami males can be kept together if the tank is large and is heavily planted for cover.

Hello aquarius :)

If they are honey gouramis, or most other dwarf gouramis, you probably do have 2 males. Here is a link to an article with a picture of them:

http://www.cwccte4.demon.co.uk/Labyrnth/Ho...oney_g_main.htm

Gouramis are not aggressive fish, but tend to be territorial. It is best to have plants in a tank that has gouramis because they divide the tank into areas so each can pick his own, which he will defend.

Since you have introduced them into your tank at the same time, neither has the problem of having to deal with a newcomer invading his territory. They will probably settle in comfortably.

Just be aware that "comfortable" to a gourami does not mean calm. They might chase each other at times. This is normal gourami behavior and unless one or the other is getting hurt, don't worry about it. :nod:

It's ok to have 2 males. :D

thanks guys. :) i'm pretty sure they're honey gouramis since the look exactly like this http://fishpondinfo.com/honey.jpg

i'll keep an eye on them to make sure there are no problems and maybe get some more plants. but so far they seem to be fine. they're usually swimming together, it's really cute

Hi Aquarius,

I've had two 3spot Gouramis for a couple of years now, got them both at the same time. The hang around together like best mates and are no problem at all. ;)

NeilP said:
I've had two 3spot Gouramis for a couple of years now, got them both at the same time. The hang around together like best mates and are no problem at all. ;)
Are your 3 spots both male, NeilP? :unsure:

the males have a sharp or pointy dorsal fin (the fin on their back) and the females have a rounded one

Aquarius is right. But sometimes it's hard to tell that way, especially if they are both the same sex.

If you look at them from above the male will be slender while the female will have a definate bulge around the abdomen. :nod:

Sorry Aquarius, i seem to have hi-jacked your question :*)

I've had a look at my two Gouramis, and they are both the same sex, both seem quite slim with a slight tummy bulge, and having looked at a couple of pics on the web seem to have a more rounded dorsa fin - so i suppose they mus be two females!

I'm going to try and take some pics of my tank and post them - the gouramis are a bit shy though .....

Thanks for your help.

Neil.

Hi NeilP :)

I'd love to see some pics of your gouramis. I have a pair of 3 spots which have bred several times. The male frequently chases the female, but does no harm.

Im interested in learning how well gouramis of the same sex coexist in one tank. I've often read posts about them doing well, yet people seem to think they do not. :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back