PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Just found this in my garage:
4900BC13-9E8E-487C-AB4D-8CD95852C763.jpeg

It is a “heat lamp”, but I put a regular bulb it it. Will this work to provide for light to my 29g, or to grow plants in a plastic tub?

Last edited:
What do you mean by build?

If the globe is a daylight globe with a 6500K (or close to that), it will grow plants. They probably won't do as well as they would with a proper plant globe but you can definitely grow plants under them. I ran a couple above a marine tank for a while and the corals and anemones did well. Unfortunately they suffer from heat and the higher wattage globes need really good air flow around them or they melt.

What do you mean by build?

If the globe is a daylight globe with a 6500K (or close to that), it will grow plants. They probably won't do as well as they would with a proper plant globe but you can definitely grow plants under them. I ran a couple above a marine tank for a while and the corals and anemones did well. Unfortunately they suffer from heat and the higher wattage globes need really good air flow around them or they melt.
I meant bulb.

How do I check the “globe” strength?

The strength of the glass or the brightness of the globe?

The brightness can be checked with a light meter but you have to buy them and they cost a bit. I normally set the light up above the tank and turn it on. Put your hand just under the surface of the water and see if there is a good shadow of your hand on the bottom of the tank. If there is, then you have bright light. If there is no shadow, then it's low light.

Well, you said globe, what do you mean by that?

I will check to see if there is a shadow.

When Colin says 'globe' he means the light bulb, the fluorescent tube, led tube, whatever it is that emits light.

I am mainly wondering if the lamp itself will work.

It is meant to be a heat lamp, but I read the warnings, and it said that it could have the type of bulb that is in it now.

I am mainly wondering if the lamp itself will work.

It is meant to be a heat lamp, but I read the warnings, and it said that it could have the type of bulb that is in it now.
You can have any type of globe above an aquarium and they don't need a reflector. However, the reflectors help get more light into the tank. So a nice shiny polished steel reflector (like the one in your picture) will help to direct the light into the aquarium.

You can have any type of globe above an aquarium and they don't need a reflector. However, the reflectors help get more light into the tank. So a nice shiny polished steel reflector (like the one in your picture) will help to direct the light into the aquarium.
Ok, so it is good to use? Great. Thanks for your guys help. :thanks:

I am using a desk lamp over my QT tank as others have said they do but it doesn’t give the light that lid lights do. It’s frustrating when I’m trying to look at the fish for ich. My lid light burnt out in that tank though.

I use a desk lamp on all of my tanks. They are cheap and they work great.

I use a desk lamp on all of my tanks. They are cheap and they work great.
Well, mine does NOT work great. I guess it depends on what you’re trying to do with it. Not happy at all with the desk lamp idea. Will be ordering another lid light. :(

Well, mine does NOT work great. I guess it depends on what you’re trying to do with it. Not happy at all with the desk lamp idea. Will be ordering another lid light. :(
What kind of bulb do you have? I have a really nice LED bright light in my lamps.

In fact, that one desk lamp is able to light up my whole 29g tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back