Will this work?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shineydisco

Reaction score
I want to swap my internal filter and heater for a DIY all in hood set up. I want to put stick insects above the tank to. My tank is under the roof line but I think my design will work, aesthetically. Do you think I'll be able to put the heater and filter material in the pyramid above the tank section? Would the water have to be under pressure going into the hood? Will it be OK just to use an underwater pump, behind a weir to send water up?
20200604_204923.jpg

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean. Forgive me if I'm wrong as I'm new to this, but don't heaters go in the water? Otherwise if that diagram (well made btw) is to scale, as long as you don't need a large and powerful filter for your fish it may fit and still leave room for a colony of stick bugs. Not sure why you'd keep them there though, unless you plan on enclosing that top part?

I'm not really sure I understand what you mean. Forgive me if I'm wrong as I'm new to this, but don't heaters go in the water? Otherwise if that diagram (well made btw) is to scale, as long as you don't need a large and powerful filter for your fish it may fit and still leave room for a colony of stick bugs. Not sure why you'd keep them there though, unless you plan on enclosing that top part?
Thanks for a quick reply. The stick insects will have a net around them. Just thought it would be cool to have them together. The whole pyramid thing on top would be full of water fed by an underwater pump hidden in the aquarium. The water would flow through filter medium and passed the heater.
The other hood filters I've seen online are open topped, not contained and so I'm concerned the pyramid will hold water. There would be a few holes under the pyramid to let the water fall back into the tank.

Thanks for a quick reply. The stick insects will have a net around them. Just thought it would be cool to have them together. The whole pyramid thing on top would be full of water fed by an underwater pump hidden in the aquarium. The water would flow through filter medium and passed the heater.
The other hood filters I've seen online are open topped, not contained and so I'm concerned the pyramid will hold water. There would be a few holes under the pyramid to let the water fall back into the tank.
I think it's a good idea! I'm not an engineer nor an experienced keeper so I can't tell you whether it would hold water or not, but if you'd like we can ask a few other members if they would know

And now that you mention there would be a net around it does sound rather intriguing. If you go through with the idea would you ever post pictures?

I think it's a good idea! I'm not an engineer nor an experienced keeper so I can't tell you whether it would hold water or not, but if you'd like we can ask a few other members if they would know

And now that you mention there would be a net around it does sound rather intriguing. If you go through with the idea would you ever post pictures?
I'd like to have as many people give me advice as possible. Is this the best place to post this? I'll be happy to share photos.

I'd like to have as many people give me advice as possible. Is this the best place to post this? I'll be happy to share photos.
I'm not personally sure how many people are good with their hands on this forum, but I know @JuiceBox52, @Colin_T, and @Fishmanic are all pretty familiar with the forum. Maybe one of them would be able to help, or point you to someone who could?

I'm not personally sure how many people are good with their hands on this forum, but I know @JuiceBox52, @Colin_T, and @Fishmanic are all pretty familiar with the forum. Maybe one of them would be able to help, or point you to someone who could?
This is the right place :) hopefully someone can help soon

It very hard to tell from the photos you provided...

Are you planning on making that wood colored area to hold water? I don't understand..

Also, if you make the hood like that, heat from the roof will come through the roof and go right into your tank. Not a really good idea to put that up against that slope... JMO.

It would take some brainstorming, but certainly possible.

You can have an overhead sump which is pretty simple. You'd need a pump inside the aquarium to pump water up and have it drip through the media and into the tank.

I'm not too sure the heater in that area will work. I'd want more of a drip type of filtration, if the media and heater is completely submerged, i feel like eventually something would go wrong and you'd end up with a bunch of water on the floor. Even worse if this is a 2nd floor and water would drip through the floorboards and cause massive damage.

From what I get from your plan is you want that pyramid to hold water. That would mean the rest of your tank lid would have to be completely sealed. You'd end up with a system that holds more water than your actual tank. How would you do maintenance if everything is sealed off?

Thanks King, I'm hoping the wood coloured pyramid (acrylic inside) will contain water and the filter and heater. It would be fed by a pump from the aquarium will holes to return straight to the aquarium. I've just made this, doesn't it make sense?
20200604_232038.jpg

It would take some brainstorming, but certainly possible.

You can have an overhead sump which is pretty simple. You'd need a pump inside the aquarium to pump water up and have it drip through the media and into the tank.

I'm not too sure the heater in that area will work. I'd want more of a drip type of filtration, if the media and heater is completely submerged, i feel like eventually something would go wrong and you'd end up with a bunch of water on the floor. Even worse if this is a 2nd floor and water would drip through the floorboards and cause massive damage.

From what I get from your plan is you want that pyramid to hold water. That would mean the rest of your tank lid would have to be completely sealed. You'd end up with a system that holds more water than your actual tank. How would you do maintenance if everything is sealed off?
Thanks metalhead, I'm worried about flooding downstairs to. The volume is about a 10th of the tank and I think if I turn off the pump and let the pyramid drain then I can have the top section come off?? Somehow?? And lock back into place???
It's basically an overhead sump but instead of drip the water would be forced in and the whole pyramid would be under slight pressure. The water would be forced through 2 or 3 compartments with media then passed the heater.
I'd like to have everything out the aquarium(except the hidden pump) just for aesthetics.

I wouldn't worry about multiple compartments. A few sheets of sponge should suffice. I would have the water entering from the bottom and pumping up through the media with a largish tube / weir at the highest level allowing the water to drop directly back into the tank using gravity. Less chance of causing a flood that way if your media should become clogged. It would also ensure your media would not dry out in the event of a power failure. for the same reason you probably want the pump below the water line so you don't need to prime the system after a power failure. Most aquatic / water pumps will not run dry - even those that claim they do.

I'm not convinced about having the heater up there though.

Don't waste your time mucking about with overhead filters. Just stay with the internal power filter and heater. It's more reliable and less likely to fail.

If you want stick insects, have a double tier stand and put them in a tank on one shelf and have the aquarium with fish on the other shelf.

Don't waste your time mucking about with overhead filters. Just stay with the internal power filter and heater. It's more reliable and less likely to fail.

If you want stick insects, have a double tier stand and put them in a tank on one shelf and have the aquarium with fish on the other shelf.
I agree. My post was purely to suggest what design changes I would make. If you are determined to DIY and really need everything hidden have a look at the design of the Fluval Flex. Its simple, effective and foolproof. You could probably do a DIY copy in half an hour and the rear compartment (false back) only needs to be deep enough to accommodate a small pump.
Flex-Filter-Product-Diagram-1.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back